Hot Deal

Getting iPhone 12 Pro from Dubai to India

2637°
Deal Cadet
ravi7052

Friends,

I’m traveling to Dubai for a short trip in the third week of March and will be bringing an iPhone 12 Pro for personal use. Here are some questions I have in case if any of you can help -

Where to buy it?

Amazon(AE) has cheaper rates than Apple Store in Dubai/Emirates Mall, also local resellers have good rates too. What do you suggest?

In case of purchasing from Amazon AE can we use Indian Credit Cards and order them to the hotel address?
(WIll it fetch forex transaction charges for online/offline payments?)

Which card I should use to minimize forex charges and get cashback etc.
I’ve almost all top premium credit cards like HDFC Diners, BoB Eterna, SBI Elite, Citi, and basic cards like Amazon ICICI and Flipkart Axis with decent credit limits, etc.

The custom at Mumbai Airport
I’m getting it for my personal use and will unbox it before departure, so is there any chance I can face custom problems at the Airport?

Can I also purchase other stuff along with iPhone e.g. 10g gold or Macbook etc?

I’m on DD for a while and literally like the efforts of Dimers in the community, any help would be highly appreciated. TIA 🙏

Top Comments
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

You can easily bring all 3 – iphone 12 pro , macbook and gold (10 gms) easily in jewellery form. Just don’t bring iphone box and macbook box also.
Keep phone in pocket , laptop in backpack and wear the gold if possible.
And direct INR to AED will be costly little bit , you can first convert INR to USD and then USD to AED. (I did the same)
If directly from card only you want to pay then prefer to use Mastercard (it gives good forex rate) , Diners is worst in forex rates.

Lastly as you are a tourist you can claim VAT (5%) too on airport by simply providing them bills of your purchase. There are counters on Airport that will give you VAT refund in cash or in your credit card back. Better to take in cash form as it is instant.

44 Comments  |  
19 Dimers
  • Sort By
Finance Mentor Finance Mentor
Link Copied

Not recommended. Warranty will be void, some features won’t work, you won’t get software updates, it might even get deactivated as per new TnC of Apple worldwide without any refund clause.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Go for it. Chances are one in million that you may need warranty. Hope you have already done done cost implications. plus1 plus1 Cheers

Heard IDFC card has low forex convenience charges.

Community Angel Community Angel
Link Copied

I dont think 10g gold can be carried now? Only gold of value upto rs 50000 can be carried, i read somewhere. Do confirm that before bringing any.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

Not recommended. Warranty will be void, some features won’t work, you won’t get software updates, it might even get deactivated as per new TnC of Apple worldwide without any refund clause.

Thanks for the suggestion @Ramta_Jogi

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Manitian wrote:

Go for it. Chances are one in million that you may need warranty. Hope you have already done done cost implications. plus1 plus1 Cheers

Heard IDFC card has low forex convenience charges.

Thanks @Manitian

Yes already researched.

Price in 🇮🇳- ₹1,14,900 (After 5000 HDFC Discount)
Price in 🇦🇪- ₹80,820.56 (Price 4056.44 AED, Conversion @ 19.92)

Just need help to save bucks on Forex Transaction Charges.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
mas143forever wrote:

I dont think 10g gold can be carried now? Only gold of value upto rs 50000 can be carried, i read somewhere. Do confirm that before bringing any.

Yes, Custom says Men can bring up to 50k Gold but need help from someone who’s experienced here.

Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

Not recommended. Warranty will be void, some features won’t work, you won’t get software updates, it might even get deactivated as per new TnC of Apple worldwide without any refund clause.

Eh! Really?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

You can easily bring all 3 – iphone 12 pro , macbook and gold (10 gms) easily in jewellery form. Just don’t bring iphone box and macbook box also.
Keep phone in pocket , laptop in backpack and wear the gold if possible.
And direct INR to AED will be costly little bit , you can first convert INR to USD and then USD to AED. (I did the same)
If directly from card only you want to pay then prefer to use Mastercard (it gives good forex rate) , Diners is worst in forex rates.

Lastly as you are a tourist you can claim VAT (5%) too on airport by simply providing them bills of your purchase. There are counters on Airport that will give you VAT refund in cash or in your credit card back. Better to take in cash form as it is instant.

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

In case you are purchasing for personal use, you can carry a MacBook and iPhone without worry. The best thing would be to carry them unboxed. You can carry two laptops, one in cabin luggage and another in check-in luggage.

For iPhone, here in Dubai, you can get an international version as well as the UAE version at a low cost. To be on the safer side, better to go for the international version one. Also, do check in the apple stores regarding updates as you will be using in India.

In my experience, better to buy from Amazon as local shops charge a little more than online. And another thing to be concerned about is, there are a lot of people here who would try to sell you fake products or 2nd hand products. So I normally avoid purchasing expensive items from local shops.

If you use an Indian card here, there will be a conversion charge as well as GST charges. You can use the Indusind Exclusive Select Debit Card. It offers 0% forex charge.

Finally about the gold part. Yes, a male can carry up to 20gm of gold but the cost should be below 50k. So I would suggest wearing gold. The customs doesn’t check if you are wearing 10 gm of gold on you. One suggestion, do not put the gold in check-in luggage.

I myself will be carrying 16.26 gm of 22k gold while visiting India. The storekeeper told me to wear or keep it in my pocket and suggested to carry the bill but never to show it to the customs. So I will wear the chain and keep the pendant and earrings in my pocket, lol.

Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

In case of purchasing from Amazon AE can we use Indian Credit Cards and order them to the hotel address?
You can

WIll it fetch forex transaction charges for online/offline payments?
Yes

Which card I should use to minimize forex charges and get cashback etc.
Niyo/IDFC, OneCard/IDFC. There are other options too but i’m not aware of them

The custom at Mumbai Airport
keep the phone in your pocket & dump the phone box.. or make it corrugated

Can I also purchase other stuff along with iPhone e.g. 10g gold or Macbook etc?
Same technique as above (Take out the laptop and keep it in the bag separately) in the case of macbook (Skip taking your current laptop for the journey)

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

i have been there in Dubai from 2016 to 2020, u can bring iphone 12 without worries and also while purchasing make sure it’s international version ( UAE will have different version without facetime ). coming to warranty Apple will have international warranty and unbox the phone and carry like a regular phone. coming to gold don’t carry 24K gold but u can bring 22k gold jewellery by wearing that too 20-30gm is not a problem

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

also try to purchase the phone in Meena bazaar in Bur Dubai area where u can get it cheaper that online

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

@Sushrut.B – Bro needs your expertise. I’ve researched on this and found OneCard is the best and charges just 1% for Forex Transactions
5X reward can help here too.

Do you’ve any better alternatives to suggest?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
harshitag12 wrote:

You can easily bring all 3 – iphone 12 pro , macbook and gold (10 gms) easily in jewellery form. Just don’t bring iphone box and macbook box also.
Keep phone in pocket , laptop in backpack and wear the gold if possible.
And direct INR to AED will be costly little bit , you can first convert INR to USD and then USD to AED. (I did the same)
If directly from card only you want to pay then prefer to use Mastercard (it gives good forex rate) , Diners is worst in forex rates.

Lastly as you are a tourist you can claim VAT (5%) too on airport by simply providing them bills of your purchase. There are counters on Airport that will give you VAT refund in cash or in your credit card back. Better to take in cash form as it is instant.

Thanks, @harshit0509 – This is really helpful.
Most probably I will be purchasing from Amazon AE using OneCard as it offers just 1% Forex Markup.

Any idea if we can get VAT Refund using Amazon Receipt, I don’t think we can do that, It requires some special kind of receipt arrangement with Federal Tax Systems.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
rahul2004 wrote:

In case you are purchasing for personal use, you can carry a MacBook and iPhone without worry. The best thing would be to carry them unboxed. You can carry two laptops, one in cabin luggage and another in check-in luggage.

For iPhone, here in Dubai, you can get an international version as well as the UAE version at a low cost. To be on the safer side, better to go for the international version one. Also, do check in the apple stores regarding updates as you will be using in India.

In my experience, better to buy from Amazon as local shops charge a little more than online. And another thing to be concerned about is, there are a lot of people here who would try to sell you fake products or 2nd hand products. So I normally avoid purchasing expensive items from local shops.

If you use an Indian card here, there will be a conversion charge as well as GST charges. You can use the Indusind Exclusive Select Debit Card. It offers 0% forex charge.

Finally about the gold part. Yes, a male can carry up to 20gm of gold but the cost should be below 50k. So I would suggest wearing gold. The customs doesn’t check if you are wearing 10 gm of gold on you. One suggestion, do not put the gold in check-in luggage.

I myself will be carrying 16.26 gm of 22k gold while visiting India. The storekeeper told me to wear or keep it in my pocket and suggested to carry the bill but never to show it to the customs. So I will wear the chain and keep the pendant and earrings in my pocket, lol.

Hey, @rahul2004 Thanks for this detailed help.

I’m planning to purchase some 22k jewelry e.g. Ring Chain etc.
Any recommendations about the store in mall or markets who is genuine and can also provide VAT Refund bill?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
chichuvarma wrote:

i have been there in Dubai from 2016 to 2020, u can bring iphone 12 without worries and also while purchasing make sure it’s international version ( UAE will have different version without facetime ). coming to warranty Apple will have international warranty and unbox the phone and carry like a regular phone. coming to gold don’t carry 24K gold but u can bring 22k gold jewellery by wearing that too 20-30gm is not a problem

Thanks, Buddy.

Will definitely check with offline resellers. Since you’ve been there could you recommend any genuine store for purchase in Meena Bazaar/Bur Dubai Area?

Do they also provide VAT Refund Bill for iPhones?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
ravi7052 wrote:

Thanks, @harshit0509 – This is really helpful.
Most probably I will be purchasing from Amazon AE using OneCard as it offers just 1% Forex Markup.

Any idea if we can get VAT Refund using Amazon Receipt, I don’t think we can do that, It requires some special kind of receipt arrangement with Federal Tax Systems.

Using onecard you can purchase offline also I think that way you can claim VAT refund also.
And I don’t think you will get VAT refund on Amazon receipt.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
ravi7052 wrote:

Thanks, Buddy.

Will definitely check with offline resellers. Since you’ve been there could you recommend any genuine store for purchase in Meena Bazaar/Bur Dubai Area?

Do they also provide VAT Refund Bill for iPhones?

i used to purchase from one shop watch&talk but better compare with all shops. you can not get VAT refund from online purchases. Meena Bazaar offline retailers will not give original VAT bill but if u want VAT bill then u need to pay VAT. we have purchased 10+ iphones but luckily didn’t get problem in anyone

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

Not recommended. Warranty will be void, some features won’t work, you won’t get software updates, it might even get deactivated as per new TnC of Apple worldwide without any refund clause.

What’s your source of info? Most of what you claim is false.

Apple provides international warranty for iphones that’s valid in india ever since iphone 7.

The only feature that wouldn’t work is facetime, in adherence to local laws there but many stores in Dubai sell international versions that have facetime enabled.

iOS updates is device purchase location agnostic and every iphone of similar series gets similar time updates.

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied

Do enquire in local stores in india for price. Few days ago imported sealed units of 12 pro 128gb were being sold for 87k here. The store that I know of is in Mumbai.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

read baggage chapter of customs act

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Bro, I’m interested to hear the conclusion part. After the end of the trip please post your experience and charges incurred.

Also a suggestion. If you have a friend in Dubai you can use his Dubai credit card and pay him here in INR saves some bucks. All the best plus1

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
raghupro wrote:

Do enquire in local stores in india for price. Few days ago imported sealed units of 12 pro 128gb were being sold for 87k here. The store that I know of is in Mumbai.

There has been a price drop in local stores they sell the same global versions.

But the price he will get in dubai won’t match even this locals. It would be around 75K So better go with dubai one.

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
ravi7052 wrote:

Hey, @rahul2004 Thanks for this detailed help.

I’m planning to purchase some 22k jewelry e.g. Ring Chain etc.
Any recommendations about the store in mall or markets who is genuine and can also provide VAT Refund bill?

Here in Dubai, you can check the Gold Souk. You will be amazed to see most jewellers here are actually Indian jewellers, like Malabar, Joyalukkas, Kalyan, Navrang, etc. The dubai police is very strict on shops here, so you can purchase from any shop in gold souk without any worry.

Also, these brands are available in various malls as well. But better to visit the gold souk.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
raghupro wrote:

Do enquire in local stores in india for price. Few days ago imported sealed units of 12 pro 128gb were being sold for 87k here. The store that I know of is in Mumbai.

Correct. I know a apple store in pune selling the same, with hand bills … They will take care of warranty as well.

Finance Mentor Finance Mentor
Link Copied
Expand
raghupro wrote:

What’s your source of info? Most of what you claim is false.

Apple provides international warranty for iphones that’s valid in india ever since iphone 7.

The only feature that wouldn’t work is facetime, in adherence to local laws there but many stores in Dubai sell international versions that have facetime enabled.

iOS updates is device purchase location agnostic and every iphone of similar series gets similar time updates.

Read the TnC? I don’t claim anything. Read the TnC of Amazon AE & Apple

Finance Mentor Finance Mentor
Link Copied

Also @ravi7052 ~ If you have HDFC Infinia credit card (Top of the line) – you get up to 16,500 reward points back on Amazon India every month, equivalent to 16.5K INR on hotel/flight/DTH redemption. Effectively reduces your price of iPhone in India without any of the jhamelas of getting it from abroad.

And If bought with Tata Cliq vouchers (Infinia), it gives a cashback of 33% without any upper limit. You can calculate the savings.

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

Read the TnC? I don’t claim anything. Read the TnC of Amazon AE & Apple

Honestly I haven’t read terms on Amazon but I did on Apple, enquired with Apple India and have been purchasing iphones from US, UK, Canada and Australia since late 2007. Availed service in India multiple times with no issues right until iphone 11 and even for refurbished iphones purchased from Apple US.

Never had a chance to visit Apple service centre for iphone 12 though.

Finance Mentor Finance Mentor
Link Copied
Expand
raghupro wrote:

Honestly I haven’t read terms on Amazon but I did on Apple, enquired with Apple India and have been purchasing iphones from US, UK, Canada and Australia since late 2007. Availed service in India multiple times with no issues right until iphone 11 and even for refurbished iphones purchased from Apple US.

Never had a chance to visit Apple service centre for iphone 12 though.

Good luck to future iPhone purchasers from abroad who’d buy it on your experience; if that is what you claim.

As i said before – I do not claim anything. I have just read TnC

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply