Saving AC Counsumption

286°
Deal Cadet
61
436
6

In these days, saving is as important as earning..
Here are some tips to lower your AC consumption:-

1) Setting Temperature to 25/26 °C :- The most efficient temperature for running an AC is 25.5 °C. Keeping set temperature in 25/26 °C range will lower energy consumption significantly.

2) Using ceiling fan along with AC :- Using ceiling fan with AC will help air circulation and will give you chill feel even at 25/26 °C setting range. Also, your fan uses far less power than your AC. So by using ceiling fan, you will end up saving some more units. (Avoid this if you live at topmost floor or your ceiling is subjected to direct sunlight over it. Although you can use it if there is any kind of shade from solar system or water tank over that room)

3) Restrict sunlight in the room :- Try to cover up areas to avoid sunlight penetration in the room. This will help in keeping room cool.

4) Keep Doors and Windows closed :- Keep Doors and Windows closed and avoid using them frequently.

5) Covering Gaps :- Try covering gaps in Windows and gap below Doors as cool air settles below and gets out from those gaps.

6) Turn off Ac at night :- Try setting Auto Turn off mode or Sleep mode in AC to turn off AC when ambient temperature is low especially after midnight.

7) Clean AC indoor-outdoor coil regularly :- Try cleaning AC indoor-outdoor evaporator coil regularly with blower. Do this only if you have proper knowledge about the AC. Do this only if outdoor is safely accessible. (With proper knowhow, you can do wet cleaning too)

Bonus Tip :- If you find that the copper line or indoor is frosting frequently (Getting White Frost or Ice) even at normal set temperature, get the AC gas checked from technician. If it is low, consumption would be high and will deteriorate your AC compressor.

This is from my personal experience, study and professional experience as Facility Engineer.
I hope this will bring some savings at your end. smile

36 Comments  |  
20 Dimers
  • Sort By
431
6024
132

Using ceiling fan along with AC only advised if your ceiling is not getting direct sunlight. If you are living in top floor, using the fan will make the AC work longer. But it’s okay if your roof has some setup to reflect heat.

110
463
28
sence wrote:

Using ceiling fan along with AC only advised if your ceiling is not getting direct sunlight. If you are living in top floor, using the fan will make the AC work longer. But it’s okay if your roof has some setup to reflect heat.

i have put a thick layer of paper on the roof & put some stones to keep it intact from winds. this way the room is a lot cooler & i am not using AC most of the days. just using fan.

61
436
6
sence wrote:

Using ceiling fan along with AC only advised if your ceiling is not getting direct sunlight. If you are living in top floor, using the fan will make the AC work longer. But it’s okay if your roof has some setup to reflect heat.

Yes. That’s true. Correction made.

48
1726
9

My findings.
22°C – 24°C = avg bill 2500-3500
26°C = avg bill 1000-1200 with ceiling fan on at low speed

That’s huge difference….had seen one youtube video on this and since than I am using this technique

Edit – usage time: 6-10 hours daily

37
8893
68
Expand
Dhanu10892 wrote:

24°C is commonly set temperature but it is not the most efficient one.

For saving : Fan at full speed is better than AC at 25° or more.

24
38576
591
Expand
_One_Miller_ wrote:

For saving : Fan at full speed is better than AC at 25° or more.

Fan becomes ineffective as humidity will increase, at present one won’t need ac at all, but as rains start, AC is necessary at whatever temperature one finds suitable

61
436
6
Expand
_One_Miller_ wrote:

For saving : Fan at full speed is better than AC at 25° or more.

Well that may be the case at hill-stations. But generally considering Indian summer conditions, given combination is ideal. 25-26 with fan is the best.
I have personally checked and verified it at my house.

177
1145
13

I have inverter ac of Voltas I keep temp at 26-27 daily. I have terrace on above me and I get direct sunlight after 2-3 pm daily . But Inverter ac keep room temperature and keep temperature automatically lower when room temperature becomes low right ?

35
1351
13

You all are talking about 24-26° and here i keep 30° with fan at middle level.

3
242
12

As per studies saying the lower the temperature, higher the sleep quality. It depends on peoples body type. Some feels good at 26, some at 22. More over AC consumption should be on need basis. so slight increase in cost ok with satisfaction. If you top floor use table fan instead of ceiling fan. but I prefer without fan at 26 and without bedsheet.

in my case, we have 2 Split, (1t & 1.5t), in one room we keep 24 degrees, usage – 6hrs per day. another 27 degrees, usage – 10hrs per day. we have Fridge and other home items as usual. We get per month about 1300-1600/- monthly.

204
5573
59
Expand
pentiumd wrote:

i have put a thick layer of paper on the roof & put some stones to keep it intact from winds. this way the room is a lot cooler & i am not using AC most of the days. just using fan.

What about rain?

431
6024
132

Gonna be all personal and stuff, so let me be a gentleman first, a nice dinner. stuck_out_tongue

My comfort is at 19°C. I am sure that a lot of people are too, but I sleep the same way I came to this world at that temperature. I sleep above the comforter and just a cotton sheet to cover me. If I put on clothes or sleep under the comforter, my bed could solve the water crisis. stuck_out_tongue

During winter, when I go outside, summer styles till 10°C, 4-10°C just a t-shirt under the dress shirt. I only resort to jackets only at temperature below 4. So you can imagine the summers when I had to wear a suit.

Long story short, I am HOT

18
1679
16

5th point is not required!
Let some air flow through the gaps of doors and windows. If not, then the environment inside the room can become breeding grounds of fungi and bacteria! (Not noticeable generally, since people don’t use AC 24/7).

……… Issued in public interest 😛……….

211
10820
126
flawlessking wrote:

My findings.
22°C – 24°C = avg bill 2500-3500
26°C = avg bill 1000-1200 with ceiling fan on at low speed

That’s huge difference….had seen one youtube video on this and since than I am using this technique

Edit – usage time: 6-10 hours daily

which city and type of ac – split or window

110
463
28
Expand
Simbha3 wrote:

What about rain?

rain is an added advantage, it cools the terrace & also makes the paper stick to the roof.

61
436
6
Time_pass wrote:

5th point is not required!
Let some air flow through the gaps of doors and windows. If not, then the environment inside the room can become breeding grounds of fungi and bacteria! (Not noticeable generally, since people don’t use AC 24/7).

……… Issued in public interest 😛……….

Yes, Fresh air is must. Not recommended during lockdown period. stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

674
3275
22

If I am comfortable at 26°C setting alone, why to use ceiling fan extra? Am I missing something?

61
436
6
MSDfan wrote:

If I am comfortable at 26°C setting alone, why to use ceiling fan extra? Am I missing something?

Not that necessary. But it is good to study as Cool air settles at lower level. Air circulation helps in keeping room uniformly cool and gives you perfect cool feel. If you are good at 26℃ without fan, you can try setting 27℃ with fan.
Just 1℃ difference in set temperature translates into decent savings. It is good to try and figure out the best option for you, at your setup itself, as there are many factors affecting cooling and thereby, the consumption.

240
385
3
Expand
pentiumd wrote:

rain is an added advantage, it cools the terrace & also makes the paper stick to the roof.

Thermocol sheet r better,may b some costly,but overall best ..( my suggestion, im not using )

110
463
28
Expand
shana5 wrote:

Thermocol sheet r better,may b some costly,but overall best ..( my suggestion, im not using )

thermocol is not eco friendly.

Missing