Hot Deal Some good information about Diet and Health

443°
Deal Subedar
491
2322
31
Some good information about Diet and Health

So many people have numerous doubts and misconceptions regarding diet.
I will clarify few of the common ones here.

General diet composition should be
Carbs 45-65%
Proteins 10-35%
Fats 20-35%

1. Sugar
Excessive consumption of sugar can have several harmful effects , one major being obesity, which itself is a significant risk factor for many diseases including cancer, heart diseases, etc.
But there is no direct relation of sugar with cancer.

More imp is to keep total added sugar consumption less than 10% of the total calories (1gm carbs = 4 cal) ,i.e., 25-30 gms of added sugar per day per person. This DOES NOT includes sugar from fruits and other natural food sources.
Daily limit can be lesser for those having Diabetes or any other relevant medical condition.

2. Refined Sugar
Another common doubt is about Refined sugar.
Refined sugar, jaggery, gur, honey, etc – all provide almost same amount of calories. The difference is that refined sugar doesn’t has any other nutrients at all, but things like jaggery & honey have some minerals and vitamins but they are in very minimal quantities and not significant enough.
So if you consume jiggery more than 25-30 gms /day, it will be equally harmful and if you consume in limits, you don’t get much extra nutrients.
I am sharing a link for nutrients in 100 gms of jaggery and you can see what you get in 25 gms of jaggery.

https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-det...

3. Fats
Fats are very important for our body. Removing fats from diet will harm your body. Keep consumption of saturated fats to less than 10% of total calories (1gm fats = 9 cal.). Total calories from fats should be within 20-35%.
It is advisable to keep changing cooking oils regularly. Limit the use of refined oils. Ghee can be used but again limiting the quantity is most important.

4. Milk
Milk is good food item which has almost everything except Vitamin C. Anyone can have milk if not lactose intolerant / allergic to milk.
But milk is generally over- hyped. No other animal drink milk of another animal except humans and they all live well, in fact, better than humans. You can definitely have milk if you like & it suits you.
It is a good source of proteins, calcium, Vitamin D and many other nutrients.

5. Cereals
Wheat is NOT bad unless you have gluten allergy. It is always best to have whole grains. Avoid/ limit consumption of refined flour (maida). Wheat and rice are good sources of proteins and various other nutrients.
Chana can be added to wheat for making bread/ roti /chapattis for added benefits.
In winters, millets like bajra, ragi , etc can be used. Again keep using different varieties of the cereals and millets.

6. Immunity
Lots of things are sold in the name of immunity boosting but there is no evidence. There are many spices, most importantly Turmeric/haldi which have proven some good results in immunity and many other ways and more studies are being done.
But one thing that will surely help in improving immunity is a good overall lifestyle, which includes balanced healthy diet, regular exercises and reducing stress.

7. Salt
Salt intake should be less than 5 gms per day which is about 1 tsp.

8. Veg/Non veg
Vegetarian diet does not prevent cancer as such but a good healthy balanced diet containing varieties of fruits and vegetables and antioxidants , and limiting/avoiding foods with high glycemic index help in reducing risk of many cancers.
Also, as per many studies, eating processed meat or red meat is associated with increase in cancer risk, particularly colorectal cancer.

9. Variety of fruits and vegetables including the green vegetables are rich sources of various vitamins and minerals.
The coloured ones including greens are full of antioxidants.
Greens specially have high iron content too.
It’s very important to have* mix of variety* and preferably eat the seasonal fruits & vegetables.

All these are general guidelines and may need some modifications if you have any specific condition or allergy or intolerance.

P.S. – Always consult your doctor before making any significant changes in your diet, particularly if undergoing any treatment.

32 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
  • Sort By
2,467
14232
48

Good information for many.

But i want to know more about FATS (Good or bad) .
I mean which ones are good and which ones are bad. I need to know in details. Although Google is there. But i need personal experiences. If any1 has lost weight by having good fat and avoiding bad ones in their life then plz do comment.

491
2322
31
justforcoupon wrote:

Good information for many.

But i want to know more about FATS (Good or bad) .
I mean which ones are good and which ones are bad. I need to know in details. Although Google is there. But i need personal experiences. If any1 has lost weight by having good fat and avoiding bad ones in their life then plz do comment.

Polyunsaturated ones are good ones. Saturated ones particularly trans fats are the bad ones.
But as I mentioned limiting the quantity is what matters most.

General rule 500 ml of all types of oils/fats per person per month.
If you want to lose, reduce 5-10 % of carbs and fats and increase similar proteins. But unless you don’t do REGULAR exercise, you won’t have good results.

2,467
14232
48
Expand
batguy143 wrote:

Polyunsaturated ones are good ones. Saturated ones particularly trans fats are the bad ones.
But as I mentioned limiting the quantity is what matters most.

General rule 500 ml of all types of oils/fats per person per month.
If you want to lose, reduce 5-10 % of carbs and fats and increase similar proteins. But unless you don’t do REGULAR exercise, you won’t have good results.

I need some examples also of Polyunsaturated & Saturated ones.
Also right now i am using saffola gold for my food. Is it good to have this oil or should i change it. Or what can i do. Plz suggest.

491
2322
31
Expand
Suman_Kolkata wrote:

Do you have any diet plan for Covid patients during their quarantine period?
One of my colleague, who recently detected positive is asking this.

There’s no specific diet for Covid. Just routine healthy diet with good water intake.

Some modifications may be required as per symptoms like
Cough- less spicy, less oily
Reduced appetite – more liquid based, smaller multiple meals

Most important is strict isolation and oxygen saturation monitoring

2,133
13939
33
Expand
batguy143 wrote:

Ya

if we take 30%( above 100 gms), protein … (as per diet plan)

to prevent from any euricic acid type problems or kidney stone problems

what shud we do , if any idea pls tell sunglasses

491
2322
31
Expand
homedimer wrote:

yes, thats why so much knowledge 😅😅

very good share 😊😊

Thank you very much! smile

491
2322
31
Expand
homedimer wrote:

if we take 30%( above 100 gms), protein … (as per diet plan)

to prevent from any euricic acid type problems or kidney stone problems

what shud we do , if any idea pls tell sunglasses

AS you must be knowing protein intake depends on body weight.

100 gms will be within 1.5 gms/ kg body weight for an average person and that’s ok.

And workout to use up that protein

Just maintain good water intake…try to have large part of your protein from natural food source and to be safer, get the levels checked half yearly.

2,133
13939
33
Expand
batguy143 wrote:

AS you must be knowing protein intake depends on body weight.

100 gms will be within 1.5 gms/ kg body weight for an average person and that’s ok.

And workout to use up that protein

Just maintain good water intake…try to have large part of your protein from natural food source and to be safer, get the levels checked half yearly.

can we mix quinoa. masur lentil , with soyabean

491
2322
31
Expand
homedimer wrote:

can we mix quinoa. masur lentil , with soyabean

Ya, but limit soyabean consumption.

Soyabean has hormonal effects and CAN cause gynaecomastia if consumed regularly. These effects are more with soya based artificial preparations.

2,133
13939
33
Expand
batguy143 wrote:

Ya, but limit soyabean consumption.

Soyabean has hormonal effects and CAN cause gynaecomastia if consumed regularly. These effects are more with soya based artificial preparations.

yes i had to recover my immunity after recent illness confused

and soyabean is necessary i think, because had complete and high quality proteins

btw, for safer side 50 gms soyabean for 3 months daily is safe??

491
2322
31
Expand
homedimer wrote:

yes i had to recover my immunity after recent illness confused

and soyabean is necessary i think, because had complete and high quality proteins

btw, for safer side 50 gms soyabean for 3 months daily is safe??

firstly, soya is great nut not necessary

and 50 gm daily is more for males

20-25 gms twice a week is what I’ll suggest.
you can have proteins in milk, cheese, paneer, curd, beans, all types of dals, rajma. almonds, greek yogurt
roti, rice, khichdi….also have reasonable proteins

take eggs if you can

2,133
13939
33
Expand
batguy143 wrote:

firstly, soya is great nut not necessary

and 50 gm daily is more for males

20-25 gms twice a week is what I’ll suggest.
you can have proteins in milk, cheese, paneer, curd, beans, all types of dals, rajma. almonds, greek yogurt
roti, rice, khichdi….also have reasonable proteins

take eggs if you can

MILK & MILK PRODUCT ALLERGY

BEANS I DONT LIKE

DAL RAJMA I M TAKING

ALMOND NOT IN MY DIET PLAN, (I DONT KNOW)

ROTI OK

RICE OK (BUT WHITE NOT BROWN)

KHICHDI= I DONT LIKE

EGGS= I DONT LIKE

= THATS WHY TAKING SOYABEAN confused

491
2322
31
Expand
homedimer wrote:

MILK & MILK PRODUCT ALLERGY

BEANS I DONT LIKE

DAL RAJMA I M TAKING

ALMOND NOT IN MY DIET PLAN, (I DONT KNOW)

ROTI OK

RICE OK (BUT WHITE NOT BROWN)

KHICHDI= I DONT LIKE

EGGS= I DONT LIKE

= THATS WHY TAKING SOYABEAN confused

I will not recommend still.

You can add almonds, maybe try to change ur liking a bit.
and if needed u can take a supplement like Ensure for a while.

Also I mentioned already about immunity in my main post….understand that too.

BTW, who made ur diet plan?

479
29432
327

Good Info
Can you tell something about the link between Anxiety/Stress and Immunity? Many i know.. do consider diet and exercise as priorities but Anxiety/Stress not so much

491
2322
31
getready wrote:

Good Info
Can you tell something about the link between Anxiety/Stress and Immunity? Many i know.. do consider diet and exercise as priorities but Anxiety/Stress not so much

Thank you!

Anxiety/stress can affect us in many direct and indirect ways.

Indirect are more obvious. When we are stressed, we either adapt bad habits or stop following the good ones. Like
1. binge eating
2. addictions – smoking, alcohol, drugs, etc
3. not exercising
4. not socialising – which increases stress more
5. reduced sleep

Direct causation is mostly hormonal. Stress reduces our happy hormones and increases some of the bad ones.
I didn’t know this earlier but now I can recall, I was in a lot of actually bad stress, when I was diagnosed with cancer.
And I know so many other cancer patients who also agree on this.

More studies are being done on relation of stress to health .

But all the above things increase disease susceptibility in many ways and also increase inflammation in the body, therby causing more diseases.

Missing