Hot Deal The Internet Vs Wall Street - The Gamestop way

574°
Budding Star
229
9063
52

‘Dumb Money’ Is on GameStop, and It’s Beating Wall Street at Its Own Game

American video game and gaming merchandise retailer GameStop shares have soared 1,700 percent as millions of small investors, egged on by social media, employ a classic Wall Street tactic to put the squeeze — on Wall Street.

Over the past week, a collective of individual traders on Reddit’s r/WallStreetBets community sent GameStop stock to astronomical heights in an experiment to stick it to hedge funds, which had sold the stock short. At the beginning of this year, GameStop was trading at $17. By Wednesday afternoon, it was over $340, valuing the unprofitable company at more than $25 billion.

Can we do it here in India?
what are your thought

Deal Wiki

This is the simplified and thorough video on the full Story of Reddit vs Wall Street.

46 Comments  |  
20 Dimers
  • Sort By
0
16040
397

it was actually a joke. or teasing them reddit way. most gamers hate gamestop and they just wanted to have some fun. but no one knew that someone is short. and rest is history. in past dhiru bhai ambani did something similar to short sellers. and it is already happening in india. pump and dump with help of promoters and operators. recent wild upmove in many useless stocks can be attributed to new gen telegram and whatsapp traders.

101
2193
47

Yesss Lets Start with Yes Bank smile

141
1445
84
Runjesh wrote:

Yesss Lets Start with Yes Bank smile

I think already done with jet airways

0
16040
397

unlike india where sebi sleeps like kumbhkaran, there will be inquiry on who leaked info about short side. the reddit group that went long is gamers group which posts memes and funny stuff says we did it for fun, as a joke and several others joined unaware of shorts by hedge funds. what is frightening is that now many robinhood dudes will jump in ship only to find a hole being dug up for them already. jisko maal banana tha wo bana chuke.

62
1257
4

In layman language why were people buying their shares? How will they make money out of it and what is that reddit sub?

0
16040
397
billubakra wrote:

In layman language why were people buying their shares? How will they make money out of it and what is that reddit sub?

reddit is social media platform. some gamers in mid 30s and 40s hate gamestop for selling useless products, reselling old copy of games, giving low value to old copies of games which is quite big market in the usa. these games are quite active on reddit. they recently joined a group wallstreetbets and started sharing funny stuff and jokes. someone asked to teach gamestop a lesson for what they are suffering from long time. gamestop is one bad dude which lacks business ethics as per them. so to teach them lesson they started buying a $5 share. it become double overnight and fun began. people in that group started to buy and kept buying. no one knew that some big companies are short on gamestop. now if i am short on company of 10 rupees share, for every paisa added after 10 is my loss. shorting means selling something i don’t own. to stop price going high one has to absorb everything up for selling. and almost all shares floating in market were bought by these reddit dudes. other people jumped and demand increased and on other hand one who was short had to keep price under control by absoring supply. so short sellers were forced to buy whatever was available for sell. a $5 share became a $350 (400+ when market open today). this is the story.

62
1257
4
Expand
marketdimer wrote:

reddit is social media platform. some gamers in mid 30s and 40s hate gamestop for selling useless products, reselling old copy of games, giving low value to old copies of games which is quite big market in the usa. these games are quite active on reddit. they recently joined a group wallstreetbets and started sharing funny stuff and jokes. someone asked to teach gamestop a lesson for what they are suffering from long time. gamestop is one bad dude which lacks business ethics as per them. so to teach them lesson they started buying a $5 share. it become double overnight and fun began. people in that group started to buy and kept buying. no one knew that some big companies are short on gamestop. now if i am short on company of 10 rupees share, for every paisa added after 10 is my loss. shorting means selling something i don’t own. to stop price going high one has to absorb everything up for selling. and almost all shares floating in market were bought by these reddit dudes. other people jumped and demand increased and on other hand one who was short had to keep price under control by absoring supply. so short sellers were forced to buy whatever was available for sell. a $5 share became a $350 (400+ when market open today). this is the story.

Thanks bro. I know what reddit is. I got confused after this line

now if i am short on company of 10 rupees share, for every paisa added after 10 is my loss.
If the share price went $250+ then does that mean that people who invested $5 lost their money? Did everyone invested @$5 per share?
Is the same thing happening with AMC today?

0
16040
397
Expand
billubakra wrote:

Thanks bro. I know what reddit is. I got confused after this line

now if i am short on company of 10 rupees share, for every paisa added after 10 is my loss.
If the share price went $250+ then does that mean that people who invested $5 lost their money? Did everyone invested @$5 per share?
Is the same thing happening with AMC today?

no. there are big hedge funds in usa (not much popular in india) who are long short. long means they buy a share for making profit if price is to be increased and short means selling a share for it’s price to go down to make profit. this is done in both future and option and cash market. if you are not fimiliar with these, learn about them first. when someone shorts the market it means he will esrn if price goes down. big hedge funds were short and reddit team was long. there is whole lot of complex stuff which you have to learn first to understand better way. for layman way just know that shorts gets money if price goes down and longs get money if price goes up. if prices keeps going up shortsellers have to buy back what they sold in order to keep price low. hedge funds are buying to keep price low and reddit dudes aren’t selling, just for fun.

62
1257
4
Expand
marketdimer wrote:

no. there are big hedge funds in usa (not much popular in india) who are long short. long means they buy a share for making profit if price is to be increased and short means selling a share for it’s price to go down to make profit. this is done in both future and option and cash market. if you are not fimiliar with these, learn about them first. when someone shorts the market it means he will esrn if price goes down. big hedge funds were short and reddit team was long. there is whole lot of complex stuff which you have to learn first to understand better way. for layman way just know that shorts gets money if price goes down and longs get money if price goes up. if prices keeps going up shortsellers have to buy back what they sold in order to keep price low. hedge funds are buying to keep price low and reddit dudes aren’t selling, just for fun.

Any article which has explained this in depth?
Check the china hustle documentary, it is for someone having indepth knowledge like you.

41
754
25

@billubakra – Our friend @marketdimer has explained this scenario very well, and in the simplest of language. Hope it’s clear to you now.

+KG given for the efforts.

Cheers!

100
3324
32

seems one tweet is enough for some to skyrocket stocks stuck_out_tongue


Edit :
from 469 to 132 in 1 Hr open_mouth

166
15337
34
xera0117 wrote:


https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/662330/medium/images_%284%29.jpeg?1611836564

✝️ Karma given for awesome hilarious meme 😀

166
15337
34
Expand
billubakra wrote:

Any article which has explained this in depth?
Check the china hustle documentary, it is for someone having indepth knowledge like you.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/taking-down-mult...

Cc @marketdimer @r3d-d3v1l bro looks like ur inspired by musk baby name but pl change id to easier one to tag 😋 @Bat_MAN @Abhinav_Pune @bikidas2060 @MrKool_JJ @malikcool @guest_999

210
2971
117

If articles are true (which says that hedge fund managers themself declared openly that they are short on this stock) then it is the most foolish thing.

Even experience trader don’t reveal large short positions unless they square off, then how foolish those so called hedge fund managers to declare it.

In India, we are even more behind in such cases. Large brokers & other market influence people have easy access to all data – Where retail is short etc.

12
243
3

Classic David vs Goliath 🤭

51
1034
7
drjpatwa wrote:

If articles are true (which says that hedge fund managers themself declared openly that they are short on this stock) then it is the most foolish thing.

Even experience trader don’t reveal large short positions unless they square off, then how foolish those so called hedge fund managers to declare it.

In India, we are even more behind in such cases. Large brokers & other market influence people have easy access to all data – Where retail is short etc.

Market figures will tell the number of shorts and long…
In case of GME it was short like 106% of the available shares…someone picked this opportunity and cornered all shorters…
Indian market is much controlled and managed properly..via circuit, ban on Option positions and what not…such conditions won’t happen in India.

210
2971
117
Expand
Sudarshan61 wrote:

Market figures will tell the number of shorts and long…
In case of GME it was short like 106% of the available shares…someone picked this opportunity and cornered all shorters…
Indian market is much controlled and managed properly..via circuit, ban on Option positions and what not…such conditions won’t happen in India.

I am not aware about US system so can’t comment on that. 

But if I take it for Indian context, stock would be in F&O segement to enable positional shorting & always short & long data matches 100% (If someone is long then only some other can short – Basically buyer seller availability). So that is not materialize, what materialize is – who is short, how deep pockets he has to survive against tide & how much additional position he can do, if tide turns against him…

156
826
31

So they shorted the stock at 40$ , and yet did not close the position even when the price reached 350$. No stop losses, no algorithms kicked in. This doesn’t sound right for a hedge fund.

51
1034
7
Expand
drjpatwa wrote:

I am not aware about US system so can’t comment on that. 

But if I take it for Indian context, stock would be in F&O segement to enable positional shorting & always short & long data matches 100% (If someone is long then only some other can short – Basically buyer seller availability). So that is not materialize, what materialize is – who is short, how deep pockets he has to survive against tide & how much additional position he can do, if tide turns against him…

Problem happens when the person who is long ask for delivery of share…than the person doing shorts will need to buy/get shares from someone to fulfill the contract commitment…read about short squeeze or short cornering.

0
16040
397

wsb is now targetting something which can ruin entire market because biggies have huge short in that stuff (will be known to everyone by tomorrow or day after).. something is gonna go to moon from $25…. but it may destroy stock markets world wide… hope sanity prevails..

166
15337
34
Rohhitt wrote:

Classic David vs Goliath 🤭

exactly my thoughts. well said ✝️ Karma given to now deal cadet congrats 🥳

166
15337
34
schumacher wrote:

So they shorted the stock at 40$ , and yet did not close the position even when the price reached 350$. No stop losses, no algorithms kicked in. This doesn’t sound right for a hedge fund.

in markets one often gets to see less of investing and more of ego boosting 😑

12
243
3
Expand
pingpong wrote:

exactly my thoughts. well said ✝️ Karma given to now deal cadet congrats 🥳

Wow thank you, I didn’t realise. smiley

43
18204
146
Expand
pingpong wrote:

in markets one often gets to see less of investing and more of ego boosting 😑

🐒🐒🐒 Ishq hai toh Risk hai ( opposite of risk hai toh ishq hai)

43
18204
146
marketdimer wrote:

wsb is now targetting something which can ruin entire market because biggies have huge short in that stuff (will be known to everyone by tomorrow or day after).. something is gonna go to moon from $25…. but it may destroy stock markets world wide… hope sanity prevails..

Today is Friday brah. 🤡🤡🤡

43
18204
146
Expand
pingpong wrote:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/taking-down-mult...

Cc @marketdimer @r3d-d3v1l bro looks like ur inspired by musk baby name but pl change id to easier one to tag 😋 @Bat_MAN @Abhinav_Pune @bikidas2060 @MrKool_JJ @malikcool @guest_999

Bro yesterday I had anticipated the fall. Couple of my friends took the risk n made more than decent profits. The thing is majority have to lose, they always do. 🙂

100
3324
32
Runjesh wrote:

Yesss Lets Start with Yes Bank smile

well it seems they have started with dogecoin, 500% up in a day.
meme stocks/currencies on fire fire fire
#Pump and dump #Scam 2021

270
832
10

“Images that precede unfortunate events” https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/662391/medium/20210129_004822.jpg?1611894814

Missing