Poll: How do you plan to use whatsapp going forward?
14 days left

Hot Deal Time to switch from whatsapp?

321°
Missing
Deal Subedar
167
2011
11
Time to switch from whatsapp?

I guess everyone is aware of recent data usage terms with whtasapp. An alternative to it is Signal.org and claims that it does otherway.

More info at

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/signal-vs-wh...pp

https://beebom.com/whatsapp-vs-telegram-vs-s...l/

Do we have better alternative?

33 Comments  |  
22 Dimers
Missing
Critic
61
2612
47

Lol if you have used WhatsApp primarily thus far then no comments. Telegram is what I use but I’m not sure about Signal, it didn’t feel very convenient to use Signal for the brief period i used it.

Missing
Deal Subedar
167
2011
11
ithehappy wrote:

Lol if you have used WhatsApp primarily thus far then no comments. Telegram is what I use but I’m not sure about Signal, it didn’t feel very convenient to use Signal for the brief period i used it.

What is wrong in using whatsapp so far?

I’m not sure why, but I have more inertia in changing to different platform, never registered on telegram so far. Now, I may continue to use whatsapp, coz I hardly use and it is mostly for basic communication. I don’t have fb installed to show me non-related advts. If most of my contacts move to signal, then I will consider it as a trigger

Missing
Community Angel
142
37225
585
Expand
andromeda wrote:

What is wrong in using whatsapp so far?

I’m not sure why, but I have more inertia in changing to different platform, never registered on telegram so far. Now, I may continue to use whatsapp, coz I hardly use and it is mostly for basic communication. I don’t have fb installed to show me non-related advts. If most of my contacts move to signal, then I will consider it as a trigger

What kind of data can whatsapp share and what could be the maximum loss to me ?
Obviously i dont send my bank statements to everyone over whatsapp smile

Missing
Deal Subedar
167
2011
11
Expand
androgame wrote:

What kind of data can whatsapp share and what could be the maximum loss to me ?
Obviously i dont send my bank statements to everyone over whatsapp smile

All that may happen is whatsapp collects data, and uses to show related advertisements. I observed this happening some time back in 2014, when if I discuss a particular topic at length, I see related topics appearing on quora/facebook. But outside whatsapp, lot more creepy things happened on FB app. And then I slowly moved away from using fb/quora on apps.

But this time whatsapp is targeting a lot more, like introducing some insurance products, in-app advertisements.

Missing
Deal Cadet
123
693
2

The alternative of whatsapp is signal and telegram must try

Missing
Deal Subedar
1
1150
7

Assume dat watever non banking info u have online is alrdy in public stuck_out_tongue

Missing
Critic
61
2612
47
Expand
andromeda wrote:

What is wrong in using whatsapp so far?

I’m not sure why, but I have more inertia in changing to different platform, never registered on telegram so far. Now, I may continue to use whatsapp, coz I hardly use and it is mostly for basic communication. I don’t have fb installed to show me non-related advts. If most of my contacts move to signal, then I will consider it as a trigger

That’s the key point, that you don’t use it extensively. If you use it for the very basic stuffs then no need to worry. Even i am forced to use WhatsApp due to my relatives but i too use it for basic stuffs when called for.

But while chatting with my friends and matters which are rather private it’s out of question to use WhatsApp, a Facebook owned app which streams data to every govt. 24×7. Nutshell is it’s a scam app which I’m forced to keep on my phone.

Missing
Deal Subedar
264
1460
4

Meanwhile distance relationship couple who do everything virtually 

https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/658893/medium/images_%2832%29.jpeg?1610109801

Missing
Deal Captain
399
9956
106
Expand
androgame wrote:

What kind of data can whatsapp share and what could be the maximum loss to me ?
Obviously i dont send my bank statements to everyone over whatsapp smile

I haven’t obviously gone through their terms and conditions extensively but from what I could perceive from BeeBom’s video on this topic none of our personal messages are shared with Facebook as it’s end-to-end encrypted data. Things such as our location data, status, how long we use, last seen etc are shared.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Missing
Deal Subedar
167
2011
11
Expand
raghupro wrote:

I haven’t obviously gone through their terms and conditions extensively but from what I could perceive from BeeBom’s video on this topic none of our personal messages are shared with Facebook as it’s end-to-end encrypted data. Things such as our location data, status, how long we use, last seen etc are shared.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

From the recent changes:

WhatsApp says it is collecting new information around from your device such as “battery level, signal strength, app version, browser information, mobile network, connection information (including phone number, mobile operator or ISP), language and time zone, IP address, device operations information, and identifiers (including identifiers unique to Facebook Company Products associated with the same device or account).”

Refer to my earlier comment https://www.desidime.com/discussions/time-to-sw...

Missing
Deal Cadet
200
823
4
Expand
ithehappy wrote:

That’s the key point, that you don’t use it extensively. If you use it for the very basic stuffs then no need to worry. Even i am forced to use WhatsApp due to my relatives but i too use it for basic stuffs when called for.

But while chatting with my friends and matters which are rather private it’s out of question to use WhatsApp, a Facebook owned app which streams data to every govt. 24×7. Nutshell is it’s a scam app which I’m forced to keep on my phone.

What are these “private” things govt. will be interested in ?! And btw chats are end to end encrypted as @raghupro said; so data is as safe as telegram etc.

Missing
Deal Cadet
10
781
20

I consider telegram is not that much safer as chat can clear from any side any time. So no backup if someone cheat you.

Missing
Critic
61
2612
47
Expand
TestV wrote:

What are these “private” things govt. will be interested in ?! And btw chats are end to end encrypted as @raghupro said; so data is as safe as telegram etc.

Best of luck

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
468
3
Expand
androgame wrote:

What kind of data can whatsapp share and what could be the maximum loss to me ?
Obviously i dont send my bank statements to everyone over whatsapp smile

Clearly mention in the TnC
basically they want to share your phone number, geo location , Transaction details, information on how you interact with others (including businesses) when using our Services , mobile device information, your IP address……

Signal is open source and after Eon tweet many are jumping to Signal.

Usefully info..
https://i.imgur.com/UPs9h...pg

Missing
Deal Subedar
2
2189
54

is there any INDIAN brand – I would like to try that.

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
468
3
baadshah wrote:

is there any INDIAN brand – I would like to try that.

Ha..why not…Jio Chat Hai na 🤦‍♂️😂😂

Missing
Entertainer
93
40446
394

Hua kya hai koi kuch simple words mein samjhayega?

Missing
Pro Tech Guru
0
5312
145
Expand
andromeda wrote:

All that may happen is whatsapp collects data, and uses to show related advertisements. I observed this happening some time back in 2014, when if I discuss a particular topic at length, I see related topics appearing on quora/facebook. But outside whatsapp, lot more creepy things happened on FB app. And then I slowly moved away from using fb/quora on apps.

But this time whatsapp is targeting a lot more, like introducing some insurance products, in-app advertisements.

Google allows you to see what info they collect from you and the average ends up over 20 pages long.. Since they read all emails.. Since they will now collect all data there is no privacy as well.. Just because I dont send nakid pics over it is not an excuse to continue using it. They can map your behavioural data to collect info you wont believe and map your habits and future models. Heck I used to watch something like this to figure out who was using duplicate accounts to hide and cause trouble. You wont believe how easy it is to find someone you know online since most people do things a certain way. Like login and within 5 mins look at something. Called finger printing..

I use telegram and it blows everything else away.. But since it is banned in many countries it was not very useable before..

Missing
Deal Cadet
1
694
13

Now It’s Time To Launch Desidime Messenger… stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Far Better Than Fb and Instagram…

@bumblefoot What You Think on That…??

Missing
Deal Cadet
81
880
11
Hi.Debasish wrote:

Now It’s Time To Launch Desidime Messenger… stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Far Better Than Fb and Instagram…

@bumblefoot What You Think on That…??

Good idea but any kind of political discussion should not be allowed there…. laughing stuck_out_tongue

Missing
Entertainer
93
40446
394

Saavdhaan India – Agar koi Ladki tumko WhatsApp se Signal pe invite kare toh aankh band karke chale mat jaana.

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
0
5306
57

Anyway to export all whats app messages to readable format.?

Missing