Top 10 countries for freelancers why India slipped down?

166°
Community Angel
315
3233
110

Top 10 countries for freelancers
1. United States – 78%
2. United Kingdom – 59%
3. Brazil – 48%
4. Pakistan – 47%
5. Ukraine – 36%
6. Philippines – 35%
7. India – 29%
8. Bangladesh – 27%
9. Russia – 20%
10. Serbia – 19%

18 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
  • Sort By
540
10930
112

Highly misleading title. The percentages shared here are in terms of revenue growth, not market share of freelancers

315
3233
110

Few years ago India was leading this index but now on no 7
Complications are responsible for this
On the one hand many countries including Pakistan tax exempted freelancers income
Here in India GST registration is mandatory for freelancing it is illegal if any freelancer fails to register GST 25000 penalty will be slapped on him and one has to file GST returns regularly even if there is no earning else penalty, hence it became a challenging and hectic task for beginners and new comers

5
1860
9
drupal wrote:

Few years ago India was leading this index but now on no 7
Complications are responsible for this
On the one hand many countries including Pakistan tax exempted freelancers income
Here in India GST registration is mandatory for freelancing it is illegal to receive even one rupee freelancing income without GST, if any freelancer fails to register GST 25000 penalty will be slapped on him and one has to file GST returns regularly even if there is no earning else penalty, hence it became a challenging and hectic task for beginners and new comers

flushed

25000, How would you distinguish freelancer income?
Some cashbacks might be called as free lancer income

24
38849
591

@drupal
Google showed this on top – “As a service provider, a freelancer is required to mandatorily register under GST in the following situations: When turnover exceeds Rs 20 lakh in a financial year (For states other than the North-Eastern States) When turnover exceeds Rs 10 lakh in a financial year (For North-Eastern states)”
Isnt this correct ? confused

0
802
8
drupal wrote:

Few years ago India was leading this index but now on no 7
Complications are responsible for this
On the one hand many countries including Pakistan tax exempted freelancers income
Here in India GST registration is mandatory for freelancing it is illegal if any freelancer fails to register GST 25000 penalty will be slapped on him and one has to file GST returns regularly even if there is no earning else penalty, hence it became a challenging and hectic task for beginners and new comers

It is your assumption that GST is the reason. GST registration and filing is very simple for Export of service. and Export of Service comes under Zero rate. There were Service Tax applicable before GST but 0%.
but downfall started even before 2016.
Actual reason is skill and output of Indian developer. Foreign client started getting better option in other country. They are ready to pay good money but not getting expected output. Most of the Indian developer are not following standard practice. Ex. deliverable not unit tested.
Even worked in local company as well as top Indian MNC. They were slowly moving to Brazil
and Mexico client. Couple of client are still in contact. Once they show me Indian developed software vs other. There was drastic difference but same cost.
Same is the case with freelance work.

0
802
8
androgame wrote:

@drupal
Google showed this on top – “As a service provider, a freelancer is required to mandatorily register under GST in the following situations: When turnover exceeds Rs 20 lakh in a financial year (For states other than the North-Eastern States) When turnover exceeds Rs 10 lakh in a financial year (For North-Eastern states)”
Isnt this correct ? confused

GST registration is compulsory for Export of Service but it is very simple.
and many website provides free GST filing. There are more than 10 accounting website (ex: zoho) provides free accounting + gst software free.
just create invoice (like you do in local shop) and at the month begining click file GST. all done.

24
38849
591
Expand
Par_ wrote:

It is your assumption that GST is the reason. GST registration and filing is very simple for Export of service. and Export of Service comes under Zero rate. There were Service Tax applicable before GST but 0%.
but downfall started even before 2016.
Actual reason is skill and output of Indian developer. Foreign client started getting better option in other country. They are ready to pay good money but not getting expected output. Most of the Indian developer are not following standard practice. Ex. deliverable not unit tested.
Even worked in local company as well as top Indian MNC. They were slowly moving to Brazil
and Mexico client. Couple of client are still in contact. Once they show me Indian developed software vs other. There was drastic difference but same cost.
Same is the case with freelance work.

What is this unit testing, freelancing is a very vast field na wink

0
802
8
Expand
androgame wrote:

What is this unit testing, freelancing is a very vast field na wink

in simple term unit testing means first check deliverable yourself then give it to client that it is completed from my side.

24
38849
591
Expand
Par_ wrote:

in simple term unit testing means first check deliverable yourself then give it to client that it is completed from my side.

I think you are talking in software /app development context.
Being from commerce background, I look at freelancing from accounting and taxation point of view, there’s no testing possible there smile

62
1257
4

Bro post source of this. Would like to read the article.
Agree with your gst point though.

50
1202
6

Please note that, the Freelancers counted for here might not necessarily mean only digital freelancing, but also the self employed in all the industries, cab drivers, food deliverers, employees in their physical office, shift workers, factory workers etc etc. Western companies do not want to have permanent employees in their pay roll, they are shifting towards self employed / freelance model. So now even their previous employees now get counted as freelancers.

Now, only if Indian railways decide to consider all their employees as freelancers, we would be first in the list.

0
802
8
Expand
androgame wrote:

I think you are talking in software /app development context.
Being from commerce background, I look at freelancing from accounting and taxation point of view, there’s no testing possible there smile

in accounting and taxation person already know about GST filing and in that as well foreign not getting proper output.
one of my friend is CA who doing such accounting work of foreign client. he said that client complains about quality of work like proper text not entered, incorrect amount etc. and not all work can be verified again.

Missing