Hot Deal

World Environment Day 2018 - Beat Plastic Pollution

1439°
Supernova
Nigel

World Environment Day occurs on 5th June every year. For almost five decades, World Environment Day has been raising awareness, supporting action, and driving change.

This year India is the global host of World Environment Day.

With “Beat Plastic Pollution” as the theme for this year’s edition, the world is coming together to combat single-use plastic pollution.

Plastic Pollution facts:

• Every year the world uses up to 5 trillion plastic bags
  • Each year, at least 13 million tonnes of plastic end up in the oceans, the equivalent of a full garbage truck every minute.
  • In the last decade, we produced more plastic than in the whole last century
  • 50 percent of the plastic we use is single-use or disposable
  • We buy 1 million plastic bottles every minute
  • Plastic makes up 10% of all of the waste we generate

For more information about World Environment Day and Plastic Pollution, visit:
www.worldenvironmentday....al

Comment below if you have taken any measures to save the environment or if u plan on doing something to contribute.
You can also write something on how the people around you can help or what measures should the government take to minimize pollution. You may also share images from the internet or clicked by you.

We will select 5 entries at 12 noon tomorrow and give 100 Dimes each.

Expired

Deal Wiki

• Last updated by: Nigel
91 Comments  |  
61 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

I have started rain water harvesting at a major scale in my village home.
A fruit seeds which are eaten at my home (includes fruits of 7 mango trees, 1 lychee,) are kept aside and at start of monsoon I along with my helps go around in town digging holes and planting them. Must be planting 400-500 seeds every year. Takes two Sundays of mine. I have stopped use of polythene bags, and plastic bottles.

Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied
KG to you. I liked your thoughts.

We always carry one or two Plastics bag neatly folded, in case we need to buy something. Also we carry Water bottle from home itself whenever we travel out so that we don’t have to buy. During train travel, when bought, we carry back our empty bottles.
We have segregated big cartons at home for selling things that would otherwise had gone to Dustbins. Yes, we sell almost entire garbage to Kabadiwala so that he ensures recycling. We get 300 – 600 Rs for selling this Kachra in every 5-6 months. It’s like perk. And we have space at home so it’s manageable. Let me share one example which you might not be aware of. Saffola empty cans of 5 litres get sold for Rs 10 minimum. It is reused by local shopkeepers to sell unbranded sunflower oil. Bournvita container, Mineral Water bottles, Broken plastic cricket balls, groceries empty bottles, used razors, ball pens etc all get sold at 7-8 Rs per kg, cardboard box used for packing gets sold at 3 Rs per kg, iron steel material at 10-12 per kg. Copper, broken taps, wire upto 250 Rs kg, broken mirror, glass everything. So if you start keeping these together and sell it once in a while then you can safely assume that it’s recycled because Kabadiwala paid for it. Sometimes these guys find value in your things and would keep it aside for themselves. If you throw it in dustbin then there are high chances that small things that could otherwise be recycled reach dump yards and stay lying there forever. So use your best judgement and save these from going to dustbins. In cities, I have seen garbage collectors behind society building, separating things after collecting garbage everyday from flats. Pizza boxes, beer cans bottles, cigarette boxes.. I am not asking you to disappoint them but manage your garbage yourself if possible. Do your bit.

Another thing is remember, – Gai Kachra Khaati Hai. First Roti of the meal is kept for the cow. Not necessarily well baked. If you are eating fruits everyday, or vegetables for meals then please save all the peels, seeds, and leftover meals for the cow. And spot a cow and empty all kachra in front of it. We have many Cows in neighbourhood so we have always something for them everyday. Also, we have monkeys around our place, always fighting, running here and there, and doing naughty and obscene things, so we throw one spare roti to them. Jiska Jaisa Naseeb, one lucky monkey almost everyday. And one roti with all leftover aata post dinner (not always) is reserved for Mohalla Dogs, the night watchmen.

As we all are tea lovers, major culprit that we have in our dustbins is the Chai Patti. So solution for this is while preparing tea don’t add sugar. Sieve it and properly press dry this residue strain of Chai Patti, which should go to empty flower pots until these are full. One portion of this Chai residue and put handful of peeli mitti over it everytime. Buy mitti from market if you don’t have access. If you add sugar then ants will ruin the mixture, and if you don’t cover the residue with mud then there will be small insects flying over. Keep this flower pot under direct sun light so that it stays dry. If you find expired medicines at home, dissolve in water and pour into the mixture. When the pot is full, you can either plant something in it or take this dried mud and sprinkle it around any road-side existing tree which is in stage of growing up. Giving back to earth. Another thing that you will see in dustbin is Neembu Chilka. Store these in Refrigerators. It absorbs bad odour, or clean brassware and then throw in dustbins.

I know all this will annoy or irritate you at first, but gradually you wouldn’t mind it at all. And your dustbin would mostly be empty at the beginning of each day.

Regarding polythene, you just cannot avoid them so take one polythene and put the damaged ones from everyday use until its full and cannot hold more polythene even after compressing. This can now go to dustbin. Don’t leave any food items even in the damaged ones as the stray dogs will find the scent and tear everything into tethers. For the OK clean polythenes, collect all in one polythene and give it back to the guy who hands you that everyday. And if you have option to carry your things, please don’t ask the shopkeepers for polythenes in the first place. Simply refuse or return. That is all what I do. Everywhere it’s not possible to be strictly following everything I wrote above but it has become a habit so we practise at home without any choon-chein.

Happy Environment Day. Happy Birthday YogiJi toungueout

View 2 more replies
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Government previously banned plastic but till it was in use as bags of getting day to day items so many years taken to plastic to dissolve in land so kindly do not use save water also major factor save environment

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

What dimers / DD can easily do is no more promoting stupid physical gift card deals – no karma, no dimes, no FPD. Think about it: what a ridiculous waste of resources: plastic card, plastic shipment box / bag, plastic tape to seal parcel, printing of unnecessary welcome kit / mailing labels… imp and last but not the least fuel-burning by courier guys! rage All this still happening despite e-vouchers and e-cards being such an elegant solution/ substitute.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

At first We need a good humanity for banned plastic. A great together can change all things

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

The major problem is how human lifestyle has become integrated with what plastic is today. Plastic bags are not the only plastic products which are getting dumped in see everything we see around somehow is made of plastic your cell phone your laptop your Wi-Fi router your tubelight your furniture almost everything has some part of it in plastic. We definitely have to find biodegradable plastic or we should release those bacteria recently discovered which are capable of digesting plastic

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

For World Environment Day, India is announcing that it will be cleaning up 100 of its historic monuments, including the famous Taj Mahal.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

The funniest fact is polythene bags were sold as replacement for cloth bags as durable choice.. Now they are replaced back with polythene bags. Going forward, of any product is introduced in the market, I appeal to the authorities that they should think of the environmental impact as well before giving any project a go ahead

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

If everyone starts using public transport more, it will be very useful. Nowadays I travel most of the times in Metro/Public Bus. Sometimes when i see the traffic in Bangalore, i see a lot of people driving alone in car. Why travel using car when you are going alone? Use 2 wheeler/ public transport please. It will ease traffic as well as decrease the pollution.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

I think its high time that organizations promote work from anywhere. This way you save energy, time & money.

Mumbai & bangalore’s public transit systems are congested during peak hours. Its time for us to be smart by using the tech to reduce wasted efforts.

Instead of building more Metros/trains etc.. Why not demand for higher & stable internet speeds (wifi hotspots) from Telecos.

I’m sure employees & employers would benefit from both.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Nice

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

✓Go Green
✓Use Dustbin
✓Less use of plastic ,thermocol
✓use solar energy
✓plant 🌲 trees
✓use public transport
✓Car pooling if possible
✓Be vegetarian wink
✓Use desidime to know offers do recharge online save money .Donate same for good cause wink🤟
✓Don’t throw garbage@public place
✓Quit smoking (smoking kills Mukesh joy joy joy)
✓save water
✓Educate people about environment pollution causes
✓Say no to exam joy joy joy
✓support digital India
✓awareness about swatch Bharat mohim
✓Use toilets (don’t go to Lotta party joy joy joy joy joy)
✓Co operate with government
✓Be responsible citizens of India
#Yes together we can change
#one and one makes eleven
#Peace blush

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

@Nigel smiley

View 3 more replies
Deal Brigadier Deal Brigadier
Link Copied

बड़ से गहराई सीखो, पीपल से सीखो ज्ञान
नीम खड़ा वह सदा कह रहा, मत सहना अपमान

कहे आंवला सभी रसों को, जीवन में अपना लेना
है बबूल की सीख न शत्रु, कभी निकट आने देना

जीवन को सुरभित करलो और सारे जग को महकाना
इस विद्या को चंदन से, ज्यादा कब किसने पहचाना

लता विटप और कंद मूल फल फूल सभी का है कहना
मत कमतर आंको हमको, हम हर प्राणी का है गहना

प्राणों की रक्षा हम करते, रोगों को भी हर लेते
बल बुद्धि यौवन हम देते, कंचन सी काया करते

फिर क्यों हम पर दानव बन कर टूट पड़ा है यह मानव
बुद्धि विपर्यय विनाशकाले, सिद्ध कर रहा यह मानव

अब भी समय शेष है, मौसम में ठंडक भी बाकी है
हिमखंडों के पिघलन की परिणति क्या तुमने आंकी है

इससे पहले कि पानी ऊपर हो जाए सिर से
विश्व ऊष्मा कम करने को वृक्ष लगाओ फिरसे

हे आर्यपुत्र अब शपथ उठा वनदेवी की प्रकृति मां की
धरती माता की रक्षा में अब वानप्रस्थ बीते बाकी

Deal Brigadier Deal Brigadier
Link Copied

As I wake up in the morning,
I saw the sunshine in the window
As I go in the garden,
I saw the flowers as they grow.

The trees in the mountain
Gives us fresh air to inhale,
It gives us water everyday,
and fulfill life every way.

How beautiful surroundings that we have,
Its a gift from up above,
May you be thankful of what you have,
And share the blessings from loving God.

Today is a great day,
It’s a love fulfilling way,
It’s because I have to say,
That god is my guidance all the way

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

https://i.imgur.com/ef412Mo.jpg

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

GoGreen.org

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Envirnoment protection c
I think following step to be taken for save the people, plant and lives on the planet
1. Grow more and more tree at every point and place found near and sidelines of road, railway, hospital, school, play ground and bank of rivers. Tree must be planted on boundry walls side of farm and farm houses.
2.Recycle and reuse the plastics materials and products.
3. Waste generated in house to hospital, school to industry should kept separated and practice to better waste management.
4. Use recycalable bags for our daily use.
5. Day to day people purchasing lots of air conditioner for cooling there home. Air conditioner are generating carbon and spread in our envirnomrnt. which disturb our system. It should be legal and mandetory to plant at least 10 tree before purchasing the AC.
6. One of most pollution creator are factory. They must be punish for creating water, air and sound pollution.
7. India is agriculture base country. straw burning in farm also creates pollution. a smart way is to ve develop to burn the paddy straw without smoke or pollution.
8. Stop deforestation for any causes and means.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Say NO to plastic and YES to eco-friendly bags

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Sabse Pehle Soch Badlo , the main reason india lags behind in contributing to environment is it mindset, they think that their acts are not harming them and they dont actually bother about others and environment . To achieve something big everyone of us has to come forward , to break those strong non-biodegrable chemical bonds everyone of us need to react. So, me must feel belongingness with nature nation and natives . From past 4 years whenever i head to market i take my own carry bag to buy grocery or other stuff in which i know i will get plastic bags . So you have to be the change you want to see. If you can’t reuse it , refuse it . #BeatPlasticPollutionhttps://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/518763/original/images.jpeg?1528209077

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Sabse Pehle Soch Badlo , the main reason india lags behind in contributing to environment is it mindset, they think that their acts are not harming them and they dont actually bother about others and environment . To achieve something big everyone of us has to come forward , to break those strong non-biodegrable chemical bonds everyone of us need to react. So, me must feel belongingness with nature nation and natives . From past 4 years whenever i head to market i take my own carry bag to buy grocery or other stuff in which i know i will get plastic bags . So you have to be the change you want to see. If you can’t reuse it , refuse it .
#BeatPlasticPollution

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Worst invention in the world is Plastic. We must banned and avoid it. We should take pledge to avoid plastic. This is not affecting only human resources, its affecting full eco system.

Link Copied

Frankly speaking..few people care about the environment..95% of the people who commented here did it just to win the dimes..they wouldnt even have bothered clicking on the link u provided..sitting in front of a computer with ac and lights on in broad daylight aint going to save the environment. We want ppl on social media to change..but we dont change ourselves in the 1st place. Turning off electric equipments when not in use..walking small distances rather than using vehicles can help save the environment.Unfortunately..everyone including me avoid these small things and contribute to harm our environment.So called internet experts talk about recycling and sh*t without even knowing how it works..spare me the dimes, the next time you use plastic..just make sure it ends up in a trash can.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Comment No Longer Exist
Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied

What are you saying! Entire Indian subcontinent will break from North due to population load and sink down in the Indian ocean toungueout Sri Lankans will die of Splash Tsunami lol

View 1 more reply
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Majority of u all have given ur views m also not going to yap nothing different.

But the main step to clean environment is to clean ur own house first which includes ur wardrobe, kitchen, BEDROOM etc etc. Until and unless we don’t practise this thing nothing will work out for us as well as our environment.

If i ask how many of u all have a well organised house where u have packed up everything in their right place, how much will be the count?

I always try to make sure i keep my bedroom clean, i am dat kind of guy who doesn’t even like a pen kept somewhere else instead keeping it my drawer. So charity begins at home, we should follow this rule mantra.

Coming to the environment now, If we use our electronic devices efficiently den close our taps when its not in use den turn off our vehicles if we have to wait more than 60 seconds (this is really do wonders to our environment) den segregate dry and wet waste separately {our complex has 2 diff bin’s one for dry and another one for wet if we dont segregate dem properly d kachra wala will say MADAM APKA KACHRA KAL LUNGAKAL DHAYAN SE KACHRA RAKNA} den try to walk if the distance is way to low etc etc all these small small things make huge difference.

Actually i am from a catholic community so we have a huge youth community which dedicates something or the other to others who don’t have that in their life. Be it b financial help, social help etc….We too carry out a campaign where we clean different railway stations/sea shores and also make ppl aware abt this thing. And now i am not downgrading any community or anything many ppl do this i just kept my point clear that’s it.

Also make sure we don’t litter our city unnecessarily and spot spitting on roads so often

When i was a small kid i used to throw chocolate wrappers right from my window and see it falling down and call my mother also to enjoy d moment den she used to scold me toungueout

But now i make sure i always keep these small kachras in my bag and liter dem in the bin itself.

Ah, dat’s it.

#apkaapnaJJ#janhitmejaari.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

The main slogan for this year’s world environment day is that use of plastic is completely banned & it should be made punishable offence in the Indian Constitution…

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

#WorldEnvironmentDay My contribution is mainly to take care of planted plants. Mostly plantation is carried out but taking care of the plants is also useful. smile If You Dream for the Greener Future, then Do Act for the Greener Present!!

• My Rule No. 1. I Don’t Buy what I Don’t Use, Prevents Unnecessary Wastage.

• I have a personal computer at home with an internet connection to watch or read the news online and other updated blogs and articles from all around the world, hence no need for newspaper or magazine subscription. {Money Saved + Paper Saved + Tree Saved}. Smartphones these days also have internet facility!!

• I use LED bulbs at home, not the CFL because after learning about the harmful ultraviolet radiations which seep through CFLs, I have stopped using them & also the latter ones are difficult to dispose. So why to risk the health of me & my family? 1. Stoped using #Shower instead use bucket while bathing.
2. Recycle kitchen water in cleaning basins, watering plants.
3. Compost perishable waste in kitchen pot to use as manure for kitchen plants.
4. Growing my own herbs – cilantro, basil, sage, mint, curry leaves, chilli, in kitchen pots.
5. Using residual water after washing clothes to clean car.
These small tits-bits can make me proud n happy in my own way.

Link Copied

1.I started carrying cloth or jute bags to market..
2.Stopped wasting electricity by minimising its use & switch-off at no-use
3.started telling my friends and neighbours about important of saving environment
4.STOPPED USING SPEAKERS AND AMPLIFIERS IN MY HOME FUNCTIONS
5.Started using bicycle or walking for going on small distance…
And Done various other small things grinning…Thanks for this initiative

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

There are lots of things i do, but the most effective actions I take to reduce our environmental footprint usually are:

Minimize (petrol-fueled) car usage by moving closer to work, taking public transport more often, or walking/biking more
Eat less meat because giving up beef will reduce carbon footprint more than cars
Insulated my house
Install solar panels
Buy less stuff
Not wasted papers
Planted trees as much i can

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

And yaah by saving environment we are saving the life of millions of people,plants and animals
Why should we save environment?

1. Global warming is a serious environmental issue. The continuous emission of carbon dioxide by thermal power generating units is the leading cause for the surge in greenhouse gases.

2. Natural resources are limited. If the natural resources such as oil, coal, etc. are used, one day the world may fall short of these resources.

3. High-level of environmental pollution is detrimental for human and animal health.

4. Forests are fast depleting. It may cause soil erosion and drought situation.

5. Excessive use of pesticides and contamination of soil have negatively affected soil output. These fruits and vegetables are not very healthy for human health.

Link Copied

World Environment Day 2018: India is the host country for this year’s celebration. It is the most important day for encouraging worldwide awareness and action for the protection of our environment. World Environment Day is the “people’s day” for doing something to take care of the Earth. Let us remember that we have a responsibility to protect our Mother Earth for our future generation.

]

There are some things we can do to protect our environment:
• Plant Trees. Trees absorb carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas.
• Save Water
• Switch off anything that uses electricity when not in use.
• Take public transport whenever possible. Walk when possible.
• Get a tune-up. Properly maintained vehicles get better gas mileage and emit fewer pollutants.
• Paper or plastic? Better yet, take a canvas bag to the grocery and re-use it each time you shop.
• Use rechargeable batteries

The planet does not belong to us, we belong to the planet. Save it… Protect it and most importantly respect it.

Link Copied

]

Image not showing in my above post.

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

Use of earthen plates, glasses, thrash cans, etc. made by potters is a good replacement for plastics.

1. Earthen Wares are disposable and perishable

2. Will create jobs for potters

3. Mass consumptions and manufacture will reduce the price of such wares

4. Do not use plastic boxes for carrying our lunch/snacks. Let us pledge to carry our traditional steel boxes or glass boxes for carrying food instead.
Good for health, no side effects of plastic to our health 2) environment friendly 3) longer usage and durability (needn’t follow the 1-5 plastic quality rating to dispose) and dont need to buy a new box again and again

5. One has to create awareness in your family members , neighborhood people you work in your surroundings that one plastic cover will take 1000s of years to get mixed in earth and this disadvantage

6. Its not a single day practice but it has to be adopted as Way of life

7. Being in soceity together we can do much more than we can do individually

8. In offices and any places people serving tea in plastic cups should be avoided, bring back the old steel cups/glasses and in office people can carry their own cups (porcelain or anything)

replyuser
Click here to reply