Lenovo Legion Y7000 2019 Heating Discussion

Lenovo Legion Y7000 2019 Heating Discussion

109°
Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83

This is regarding the Lenovo Legion Y7000 2019 laptop that we just purchased few days back.

Since, the laptop was heating a lot while playing newly released games, I decided to purchase a cooling pad (Deepcool Multicore X8 Laptop Cooling Pad).

As I told earlier, here I am listing my observations when the laptop is used with and without the cooling pad.

(I used mainly two softwares: NZXT CAM and CPUID HWMonitor to check the temperatures of various parts).

When no cooling pad is used I obtained the following results:

First, I browsed using Chrome for 10 minutes and had 10 tabs open:
https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585769/original/1_nxz_no_cooling_pad.PNG?1568873879
https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585770/original/2_cpuid_no_cooling_normal.PNG?1568873933https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585772/original/3_cpuid_no_cooling_normal_gpu.PNG?1568873964





Second, I ran Hitman 2 for 10 minutes:


https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585773/original/4_nxz_no_cooling_pad_gaming.PNG?1568874079https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585774/original/5_cpuid_no_cooling_gaming.PNG?1568874099https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585775/original/6_cpuid_no_cooling_gaming_gpu.PNG?1568874131


When cooling pad is used I obtained the following results:

First, I browsed using Chrome for 10 minutes and had 10 tabs open:


https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585777/original/7_nxz_cooling_pad.PNG?1568874364https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585779/original/8_cpuid_cooling_normal.PNG?1568874398https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585780/original/9_cpuid_cooling_normal_gpu.PNG?1568874423



Second, I ran Hitman 2 for 10 minutes:


https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585782/original/10_nxz_cooling_pad_gaming.PNG?1568874531https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585783/original/11_cpuid_cooling_gaming.PNG?1568874547https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/585784/original/12_cpuid_cooling_gaming_gpu.PNG?1568874570


Conclusion:
Although, while performing normal task, the cooling pad has not much visible effect.
But, while gaming the pad surely reduces the temperature by 7-14 degrees.

20 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
Missing
Deal Cadet
360
709
13

I told you. This has not cooling capability to handle RTX 2060. Well, 95 degree is not a big deal. And reduction of 7-14 degrees is really amazing

Cropped8790936622552152970
Deal Major
6,598
21774
259
bikidas2060580 wrote:

I told you. This has not cooling capability to handle RTX 2060. Well, 95 degree is not a big deal. And reduction of 7-14 degrees is really amazing

Its the CPU that’s getting heated up
If u Google, u can find loads of such cases involving i7 9750h
72c on 99% GPU load is normal

Missing
Deal Cadet
360
709
13
Expand
getready wrote:

Its the CPU that’s getting heated up
If u Google, u can find loads of such cases involving i7 9750h
72c on 99% GPU load is normal

You are Right. I googled it. Hmm.

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83

it seemed as if my hand would burn when i put it at the bottom of my laptop while playing without using cooling pad. now its not the case.

Missing
Analyst
1
5726
161

Use Throttlestop (preferably ) or Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU. Should net noticeable gains under load.

Missing
Deal Cadet
52
110
0

@rahul2004 , do you have the latest BIOS. It has better fan curve to help with cooling. Also, as LIMBO mentioned , use ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache to help with atleast 10 degree temps. If you are uncomfortable with ThrottleStop, pm me and I would help you over screenshare.

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
26
0

for how much you bought the laptop?

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83
LIMBO wrote:

Use Throttlestop (preferably ) or Intel XTU to undervolt the CPU. Should net noticeable gains under load.

yup i am using throttlestop to undervolt. Lets see how it does. @nishant.khatri775

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83
coderguy wrote:

for how much you bought the laptop?

for 74490

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83
nishant.khatri775 wrote:

@rahul2004 , do you have the latest BIOS. It has better fan curve to help with cooling. Also, as LIMBO mentioned , use ThrottleStop to undervolt the CPU and CPU Cache to help with atleast 10 degree temps. If you are uncomfortable with ThrottleStop, pm me and I would help you over screenshare.

undervolted to -125mV. lets see if it helps.

Missing
Analyst
1
5726
161
Expand
rahul2004 wrote:

undervolted to -125mV. lets see if it helps.

While the UV maybe be completely stable under hours of Prime95 testing it can still fail while gaming and even in just the Windows UI. Basically the built-in test in TS is sufficient. Or just test it while playing games.If the UV proves to be a bit much just dial it a notch or two. Too high a UV can freeze the system but unlike OC no damage to the hardware.
P.S. Cooling pads aren’t of much use. The same temp. drop can be effected by just elevating the laptop base. Intel CPU’s produce a lot of heat obviously and the OEMs cheap out on the cooling system. Even a better thermal paste can work wonders but will void warranty.

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

While the UV maybe be completely stable under hours of Prime95 testing it can still fail while gaming and even in just the Windows UI. Basically the built-in test in TS is sufficient. Or just test it while playing games.If the UV proves to be a bit much just dial it a notch or two. Too high a UV can freeze the system but unlike OC no damage to the hardware.
P.S. Cooling pads aren’t of much use. The same temp. drop can be effected by just elevating the laptop base. Intel CPU’s produce a lot of heat obviously and the OEMs cheap out on the cooling system. Even a better thermal paste can work wonders but will void warranty.

yup. tested it while gaming. the game crashed once (but the OS is stable atm). but the cpu temperature does got reduced by 10-15 degrees while gaming (along with using the cooling pad and keeping the entire structure a little elevated for better air flow). thanks for the suggestion.

Missing
Analyst
1
5726
161
Expand
rahul2004 wrote:

yup. tested it while gaming. the game crashed once (but the OS is stable atm). but the cpu temperature does got reduced by 10-15 degrees while gaming (along with using the cooling pad and keeping the entire structure a little elevated for better air flow). thanks for the suggestion.

You can probably even UV/UC the GPU. Not sure what’s the current situation with Turing though.
P.S. Doesn’t Lenovo offer any utility to boost the cooling even at the cost of higher noise?

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

You can probably even UV/UC the GPU. Not sure what’s the current situation with Turing though.
P.S. Doesn’t Lenovo offer any utility to boost the cooling even at the cost of higher noise?

Lenovo does provide a app called Vantage, but it has very limited capabilities. The GPU is not getting too hot as much as the cpu. It does seem the 9750h surely has some serious heating issues.

Cropped8790936622552152970
Deal Major
6,598
21774
259
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

You can probably even UV/UC the GPU. Not sure what’s the current situation with Turing though.
P.S. Doesn’t Lenovo offer any utility to boost the cooling even at the cost of higher noise?

core and memory clock can be OCed via After Burner
But lenovo blocked limiting the power

Avatar72002 5
Deal Subedar
124
2855
83

finally, undervolted to -150mV. The system is stable currently. The game crashes very rarely. Thermal throttling helped a lot to reduce the temperature spikes while playing games.

Cropped8790936622552152970
Deal Major
6,598
21774
259

New BIOS update is available now
https://i.imgur.com/yJcc3zF.jpg

Missing