Light Laptop with best display budget below 80k

Light Laptop with best display budget below 80k

102°
Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4

Hello Friends,

What I’m looking for:

  • Budget Less than 80k.
  • Great 1080p display with good colour – Just for consuming movies with greater colour. I’m not a designer, so colour accuracy doesn’t matter, I guess.
  • SSD. PCIe preferred, but SATA SSD is also okay.
  • Upgradeable.
    RAM must be upgradeable, to make it future proof. (if 12 or 16GB is already there, then it’s not required)
    Upgradeable SSD, not mandatory, but preferred smile .
  • Moderate battery backup, ~4hrs atleast.

I am not a graphics designer, I want colourful display just for consuming movies smile .

I will be using the laptop mainly for coding purposes as well as watching videos.

I’ve researched a lot, and confused with many options. I might have missed many models as well.
So these are the models, I’ve considered. (Putting price as well, if others are researching, it’ll be useful for ’em)

  • LG Gram Core i5 8th gen (8GB/256 GB SSD/Windows 10) 14Z980-GAH52A2) – 70k
    Both RAM and SSD upgradeable. Extra SSD slot is there, not sure PCIe/NVM SSD is supported, can someone please confirm?
  • Acer Swift 3 Core i5 8th Gen – (8 GB/512 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) SF314-54-59AL – 52k
  • Asus VivoBook Core i5 8th Gen – (8 GB/1 TB HDD/256 GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) S430UA = 55k

Not taking these:

  • HP ENVY – 13-ah0043tx – RAM soldered so not upgradeable
  • Asus Zenbook 13 – Both latest and old model, RAM soldered and not upgradeable.
  • Lenovo Ideapad 530s – It ticks all the requirements other than display, but display is poor.
    If anyone is using this, please comment about the display colour reproduction
  • Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 – Nothing upgradeable, all are soldered.

To other researchers, if you’re looking for an ultrabook with okayish display, then Lenovo Ideapad 530s is the best in the segment IMHO.

I’m thinking about going for LG Gram.
Friends, please help me to decide.

19 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
75pe
Deal Subedar
106
2586
27

ideapad display is average .lg gram suits you ..it ll give you arround 10_12 hr battery .
also checm asus zenbook 14 .ux433

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Zenbook UX433 has 8GB RAM and it’s not upgradeable sad . Otherwise it is the best choice.

Also what about MSI PS42 8M-240? It seems good, any idea?

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4

Thanks for the prompt reply. KG

Zenbook UX433 has 8GB RAM and it’s not upgradeable sad . Otherwise it is the best choice.

Also what about MSI PS42 8M-240? It seems good, any idea?

65273095206cc1c76ba3d34ce6d6ae96
Deal Subedar
111
1518
10

Just purchased MSI GL 63 8RC though for different reason ….. Gaming wink Have a look at MSI laptops on flipkart but i don’t know how the TN displays will behave.

75pe
Deal Subedar
106
2586
27
rockstarmpm wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Zenbook UX433 has 8GB RAM and it’s not upgradeable sad . Otherwise it is the best choice.

Also what about MSI PS42 8M-240? It seems good, any idea?

go to notebookcheck and see..

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
goldi wrote:

Just purchased MSI GL 63 8RC though for different reason ….. Gaming wink Have a look at MSI laptops on flipkart but i don’t know how the TN displays will behave.

Thanks for the suggestion.

TN displays on most MSI laptops are pretty good in colour, so I guess it would be good. But they don’t have much options in ultrabook.

4fd2a1e7 26ff 4829 8628 cc947add2702 800
Deal Cadet
63
866
10

Asus zen book 14

18157365 1092022577569460 9015892503473472591 n
Deal Subedar
122
1038
17

@LIMBO ji. Marg dikhaye is bachhe ko😇
To OP:-) Why not buy apple/mac??

75pe
Deal Subedar
106
2586
27
P_A_N_K_A_J wrote:

@LIMBO ji. Marg dikhaye is bachhe ko😇
To OP:-) Why not buy apple/mac??

80k mey kounsa mac ?

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
Superdry wrote:

Asus zen book 14

Thanks for the suggestion.

It’s a good laptop, the only problem is, the RAM is not upgradable. I wish to keep my laptop useable for at least 3 years, so I believe RAM should be upgradable.

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
P_A_N_K_A_J wrote:

@LIMBO ji. Marg dikhaye is bachhe ko😇
To OP:-) Why not buy apple/mac??

Thanks for tagging him to reply as well

Latest MacBook air is costly, costs around 1 lakh, it’s out of my budget sad

Old MacBook air, the one which costs around 60k is having much older 5th generation i5(Dual core, 4 threads), while the current generation is being 8th Gen(Quad core, 8 threads). Another problem is the display, it’s bad, its resolution is 1440×900 and colour production is also not good, IMHO .

Missing
Analyst
1
5586
160
Expand
rockstarmpm wrote:

Thanks for tagging him to reply as well

Latest MacBook air is costly, costs around 1 lakh, it’s out of my budget sad

Old MacBook air, the one which costs around 60k is having much older 5th generation i5(Dual core, 4 threads), while the current generation is being 8th Gen(Quad core, 8 threads). Another problem is the display, it’s bad, its resolution is 1440×900 and colour production is also not good, IMHO .

Have you considered an external monitor? That would be a much cheaper option. Plus the extra screen real estate would vastly enhance the movie viewing experience compared to puny 15" displays. Dell XPS 13,MS Surface Pro, Huawei Matebook to name a few have best-in-class, no-compromise displays but high price and non-upgradeability are downers. The budget Zenbooks don’t even cover the full sRGB space and contrast is below par for Ultrabook class. Then there are certain Acer Nitro/Predator laptops whose displays can be upgraded to top class ones for ~$75 but high shipping charges+customs duties nearly double the price. I haven’t kept track of late 2018 or 2019 models so can’t give any recommendation. Esp. when raw specs is all one can go by in India as tech publications pay only lip service to the display if that.

Missing
Analyst
1
5586
160

Every model that you have listed barring the Gram suffers from low sRGB coverage. Their 2017/18 models were all in the range 55-65%. You should not ignore contrast. Anything below 1000:1 is best avoided. Colour calibration is mostly limited to the pro series or high-end consumer models. But wildly inaccurate displays are mostly rare other than entry level models. The Ryzen Swift 3 had pretty good contrast 1100/1200:1 but again 55-60% sRGB.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful as I can’t go through the grind of scouring through reviews. The petty limitations are very frustrating.

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

Have you considered an external monitor? That would be a much cheaper option. Plus the extra screen real estate would vastly enhance the movie viewing experience compared to puny 15" displays. Dell XPS 13,MS Surface Pro, Huawei Matebook to name a few have best-in-class, no-compromise displays but high price and non-upgradeability are downers. The budget Zenbooks don’t even cover the full sRGB space and contrast is below par for Ultrabook class. Then there are certain Acer Nitro/Predator laptops whose displays can be upgraded to top class ones for ~$75 but high shipping charges+customs duties nearly double the price. I haven’t kept track of late 2018 or 2019 models so can’t give any recommendation. Esp. when raw specs is all one can go by in India as tech publications pay only lip service to the display if that.

I had considered an external monitor, but as a last resort only. Because I’ll be carrying the laptop to my hometown as well.

I thought of importing Huawei Matebook, but custom duties are high and warranty won’t be available.

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
LIMBO wrote:

Every model that you have listed barring the Gram suffers from low sRGB coverage. Their 2017/18 models were all in the range 55-65%. You should not ignore contrast. Anything below 1000:1 is best avoided. Colour calibration is mostly limited to the pro series or high-end consumer models. But wildly inaccurate displays are mostly rare other than entry level models. The Ryzen Swift 3 had pretty good contrast 1100/1200:1 but again 55-60% sRGB.
Sorry I couldn’t be more helpful as I can’t go through the grind of scouring through reviews. The petty limitations are very frustrating.

So contrast ratio below 1000:1 is bad?

LG Gram 14z980 has only 835:1 as per notebookcheck https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-14Z980-i5...

So is LG gram also having a bad display, what’s your opinion?

and Thank you so much for the detailed replies. KG

Missing
Analyst
1
5586
160
Expand
rockstarmpm wrote:

So contrast ratio below 1000:1 is bad?

LG Gram 14z980 has only 835:1 as per notebookcheck https://www.notebookcheck.net/LG-Gram-14Z980-i5...

So is LG gram also having a bad display, what’s your opinion?

and Thank you so much for the detailed replies. KG

It is not bad but there is no way it can be justified in a laptop that costs as much. Ryzen Swift 3 used to be frequently on sale for Rs 38k and had a much higher contrast display… made by LG!!! For viewing videos you can manage with lesser colour gamut but lower contrast is more noticeable. Provided that the gamma has been set correctly of course.
You have to define a threshold somewhere.
Have you had experience with a high quality display before? If not you might be able to settle for relatively lower specs.

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

It is not bad but there is no way it can be justified in a laptop that costs as much. Ryzen Swift 3 used to be frequently on sale for Rs 38k and had a much higher contrast display… made by LG!!! For viewing videos you can manage with lesser colour gamut but lower contrast is more noticeable. Provided that the gamma has been set correctly of course.
You have to define a threshold somewhere.
Have you had experience with a high quality display before? If not you might be able to settle for relatively lower specs.

So contrast ratio is relevant for me.

I am using Dell Latitude E7470 and E7480 in my office, and screens on those are awesome.

Also, I am using Galaxy S9+ as my phone, and its screen is really really awesome, since it’s AMOLED.

From your description, I guess I’ll be happy with the Ryzen Swift 3’s display. Any idea whether Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 is also using somewhat same display?

Are there any laptops which have a relatively good display?

Missing
Analyst
1
5586
160
Expand
rockstarmpm wrote:

So contrast ratio is relevant for me.

I am using Dell Latitude E7470 and E7480 in my office, and screens on those are awesome.

Also, I am using Galaxy S9+ as my phone, and its screen is really really awesome, since it’s AMOLED.

From your description, I guess I’ll be happy with the Ryzen Swift 3’s display. Any idea whether Acer Swift 3 SF314-54 is also using somewhat same display?

Are there any laptops which have a relatively good display?

OK. I will have a look around but a glass half-empty scenario is best expected. BTW the XPS 13 and Surface Pro have had their share of issues over the years ( not related to display though). So throwing more money can’t guarantee a flawless all-round experience.
You might find this interesting http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/laptop-...
Edit: https://www.laptopmag.com/benchmarks/color...ut Most of them might not be available in India. Can’t be sure they ship the same panel in India as well like Lenovo did with the Y510? which shipped with an IPS one in US but Indian models got a TN panel and a mediocre one at that. @rockstarmpm

Profilelibguide
Deal Cadet
67
221
4

Okay, thanks. Please let me know if you find any good one.

Btw, the link you’ve provided is regarding changing the panels, right?

It’s cool, but I guess I won’t be going that far grinning

Missing