My PC is not switching on.

My PC is not switching on.

Score: 1 Votes: 1
Break the bottle
Deal Captain
2
130
9054
53

After a power cut yesterday, My desktop CPU is not switching on. I feel that the SMPS is not working & has gone kaput. Also there was a small “phat” sound & burnt smell coming from the computer after the power failure.

I had been using a Cooler Master 650w SMPS purchased in 2014. On the box it is mentioned as 3 years warranty where as on the website it is showing as 2 years for India. I don’t find any service centers for Cooler master.

Should i go for Cooler Master itself or any other better SMPS is available at a lesser price? I have a 2gb Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 TI graphics card. Processor is AMD & Motherboard is Asus. I don’t remember the exact model names of processor & motherboard. So any suggestions?

11 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
38015
643

@gambitrite Based on what you have mentioned, it could be a case of a blown SMPS or a capacitor on the motherboard. You can make sure whether it’s the SMPS or something else by following the instructions here: http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-SMPS-Without-a-M...

If it is indeed the SMPS which has gone kaput, then you can read my following post for brand suggestions (do also see the posts by @cybertechie in the same thread). http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...

Break the bottle
Deal Captain
2
130
9054
53
@DealSeeker wrote:

@gambitrite Based on what you have mentioned, it could be a case of a blown SMPS or a capacitor on the motherboard. You can make sure whether it’s the SMPS or something else by following the instructions here: http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-SMPS-Without-a-M...

If it is indeed the SMPS which has gone kaput, then you can read my following post for brand suggestions (do also see the posts by @cybertechie in the same thread). http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...

Thank you very much… i will try it. https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif

6d24c5a555a866a6742079a33f7ccb95.c85f2eca6fae07ed09d1eb2984f99fa8
Deal Subedar
4
65
2566
70

Had I similar problem like you… My PC was also not starting, I was using Seasonic SJ-750watt PSU. As I was not able to detect the problem, I had taken the CPU to computer shop where it was detected that SMPS was faulty. I was using it since 3 years and had purchased from Bangalore but now I had moved to different city…..Seasonic provides 5 years warranty but there is no service centres in India and had a complicated RMA process… I dumped my SMPS and bought Zebronics SMPS 3800 bucks… My suggestion it’s better to invest money which provides services locally rather than purchasing international brands which provides goods but can’t offer services

One thing more, I also had Razer Deathadder black edition mouse whose wire had been cut in two pieces by my rabbit but can’t help as there is no service centre for Razer also.

Kungfu
Deal Subedar
0
120
2538
82
@Vikash wrote:

Had I similar problem like you… My PC was also not starting, I was using Seasonic SJ-750watt PSU. As I was not able to detect the problem, I had taken the CPU to computer shop where it was detected that SMPS was faulty. I was using it since 3 years and had purchased from Bangalore but now I had moved to different city…..Seasonic provides 5 years warranty but there is no service centres in India and had a complicated RMA process… I dumped my SMPS and bought Zebronics SMPS 3800 bucks… My suggestion it’s better to invest money which provides services locally rather than purchasing international brands which provides goods but can’t offer services

One thing more, I also had Razer Deathadder black edition mouse whose wire had been cut in two pieces by my rabbit but can’t help as there is no service centre for Razer also.


Do you have a rabbit? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

Missing
suspended
0
50
86
0
@Vikash wrote:

Had I similar problem like you… My PC was also not starting, I was using Seasonic SJ-750watt PSU. As I was not able to detect the problem, I had taken the CPU to computer shop where it was detected that SMPS was faulty. I was using it since 3 years and had purchased from Bangalore but now I had moved to different city…..Seasonic provides 5 years warranty but there is no service centres in India and had a complicated RMA process… I dumped my SMPS and bought Zebronics SMPS 3800 bucks… My suggestion it’s better to invest money which provides services locally rather than purchasing international brands which provides goods but can’t offer services

One thing more, I also had Razer Deathadder black edition mouse whose wire had been cut in two pieces by my rabbit but can’t help as there is no service centre for Razer also.


3800 rs for a zebronics psu

are you kidding me ? you have been looted for sure https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_redface.gif

ad bot
1
1
1
1
Ad Bot

I found this sponsored content on one of the ad networks.

Bal ganesh
Deal Subedar
1
94
2348
29

I am sorry but you could have got one UPS/inverter with small battery.
These electronics create bigger problems when neglected.

You can remove SMPS and ask any local electrician to check if its working?
Mostly its SMPS as there was burn with smell.
You can in fact find out if smell is coming from SMPS.

Screenshot008
Deal Subedar
0
60
1139
22
…little foreplay can turn on many things.. Try on your PC… https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_twisted.gif ,
Final
Deal Subedar
3
182
1548
18
@ZIZER wrote:

@Vikash wrote:

Had I similar problem like you… My PC was also not starting, I was using Seasonic SJ-750watt PSU. As I was not able to detect the problem, I had taken the CPU to computer shop where it was detected that SMPS was faulty. I was using it since 3 years and had purchased from Bangalore but now I had moved to different city…..Seasonic provides 5 years warranty but there is no service centres in India and had a complicated RMA process… I dumped my SMPS and bought Zebronics SMPS 3800 bucks… My suggestion it’s better to invest money which provides services locally rather than purchasing international brands which provides goods but can’t offer services

One thing more, I also had Razer Deathadder black edition mouse whose wire had been cut in two pieces by my rabbit but can’t help as there is no service centre for Razer also.


Do you have a rabbit? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

+1, plz send photo, i love rabbits:-} @Vikash

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
38015
643

@gambitrite Just curious to know what you ended up doing to resolve the issue. https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Break the bottle
Deal Captain
2
130
9054
53
@DealSeeker wrote:

@gambitrite Just curious to know what you ended up doing to resolve the issue. https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif


Tried the method which you had suggested by removing all the connections from SMPS & checked it as mentioned in wikihow… SMPS didn’t work. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_sad.gif

Finally i took the entire CPU to SP Road & had it checked. They also said that SMPS is not working and needs to be replaced. So i bought a Corsair VS650 ATX power supply @ Rs.3800. Thanks for all the help & suggestions to check it. https://i.imgur.com/OxJN8a2.gif

Missing