Need help regarding processor intel core 2 duo p8700

52°
Deal Newbie
arzanmallick...

Guys I wanna buy laptop to study in around 5-6k …I m getting a core 2 duo p8700. Is this fair enough to do basic things…I have to use some software like ms office and youtube watching that’s all…is this too outdated to buy ? can I install windows 8 in this laptop? Anyone who has used plz guide. Thanks in advance

4 Comments  |  
5 Dimers
  • Sort By
Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

The CPU is 11 years old
Coupled with min 4GB RAM, it should be fine for casual browsing and watching youtube but it may not be able to run the latest versions of MS Office
You can install windows 8/8.1/10

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

I would strongly recommend against it. I still have a C2D P7350 laptop lying around. Its 0.53GHz lower clocked not that it would make much of a difference. In many websites the CPU would be maxed out. Streaming videos are no longer viable due to lack of hardware support for latest codecs. Google doesn’t want to pay for H.264 royalties. There is an extension to bypass this restriction ofc. I had to finally give in and get a new one even though I strongly dislike laptops.
A Gemini Lake Atom based one would be far better. Performance on par with 3rd gen. i3 or the Kaby Lake Pentium in MS Surface Go. Multithreaded perf. is higher even. Plus way, way better battery life. Native HW support for all latest codecs. Most are fanless, passively cooled.
Maybe a very minimal Linux distro like Puppy Linux would work out but the learning curve can be steep.
I even had the opportunity to upgrade to a much faster C2D T9600 (46.5% higher clocks) for a few dollars but gave it a pass as it still won’t be enough.
@https://www.desidime.com/users/10...8@ You can install Windows 8/10 64-bit. W8.1 64-bit might not install. I found W7/8 to be far better in terms of snapiness relative to Windows 10. The latter’s RAM Compression feature keeps the CPU busy not infrequently. You will be practically limited to 4GB RAM as 4X1GB DDR2 modules are prohibitively expensive.
But 5-6k isn’t that bad price wise so…

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

It will work, will lag with multi tasking.
Install windows 10 home, other versions are heavy

Firestorm Firestorm
Link Copied

I have core 2 duo based proceesor cpu. Currently experiencing a problem. When i turn on the pc, the turns off and restarts automatically.

Please specify the reason

replyuser
Click here to reply