Hot Deal

any computer expert?

620°
The PostMighty
kartikxxx

I have asus laptop (i5 7th gen, 12 gig ram and 1 tb hdd).

Whenever i start laptop, it starts lagging nd hanging, its performance is very poor, after checking i found it is consuming disk usage 100%.
I google and did some troubleshooting myself, removed skype, chrome and even anti virus, kill some task permanently, and even flashed windows several times but nothing worked.
Current version win 10 pro.

Is there any pro dimer who can help me out.

Is my hdd faulty.

Ps – i realised this after my warrenty gets over as i rarely use my laptop.

images – https://ibb.co/T...5w

so far i have followed below things as suggested by google and wiki

Disable SuperFetch service.
Removed chromeand skype.
Update device drivers.
Perform a diskcheck.
Reset Virtual Memory.
Disable Antivirus Software.

141 Comments  |  
44 Dimers
  • Sort By
Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied

I am currently back to the HDD as the OS drive until I get a replacement for the SSD. It’s actually noticeably better than what it was 3 years ago.
I didn’t reinstall Bitdefender as AVs in general are known to hog the disk. On an SSD it’s no issue.
After a fresh boot Windows preemptively caches frequently used apps in RAM thereby pegging the disk at 100% for upto several minutes. In W10 its SysMain, Superfetch in earlier versions. It can be disabled but it’s usually counterproductive.
I am managing by putting the laptop to Sleep instead of shutting it down and hibernating if it won’t be used for a longer period.
I have never had any issues with Nvidia stuff.
Windows modules/installers also cause high disk usage from time to time. Ditto for Windows Update, Telemetry services. Chrome’s Software Reporter tool probably as well.

Beacon Beacon
Link Copied

I think there is a malware installed.
Run antivirus thoroughly.
If still you have problem take backup and reinstall the Os
This should fix your problem

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

as such i cant see nvidia container contribution in disk usage, in all process i found “nvidia display conatiner LS”, u talking about this?

how much disk % is it using?

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
koolraj86 wrote:

I think there is a malware installed.
Run antivirus thoroughly.
If still you have problem take backup and reinstall the Os
This should fix your problem

done scanning, no malware or virus found, also reinstalled the OS by complete format, nothing worked

Perfectionist Perfectionist
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

done scanning, no malware or virus found, also reinstalled the OS by complete format, nothing worked

Windows is culprit
Dont waste time on all this and get cheapest ssd you can

Beacon Beacon
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

done scanning, no malware or virus found, also reinstalled the OS by complete format, nothing worked

Chk how much ram is in use
And is it running to full capacity

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
avgn wrote:

Windows is culprit
Dont waste time on all this and get cheapest ssd you can

if windows is the culprit not the hdd, it will do the same with sdd, isn’t it?

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
koolraj86 wrote:

Chk how much ram is in use
And is it running to full capacity

i have added screenshot link of task manager, kindly have a look, ram is free(more than 50%).

Beacon Beacon
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

i have added screenshot link of task manager, kindly have a look, ram is free(more than 50%).

Is the windows original if not windows is the culprit

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
getready wrote:

Drive is completely fine
As mentioned by @LIMBO this excess disk usage is common with fresh boot. Just wait for few minutes and check the disk status again

yes, i do agree, in normal case, after bootup, diskusage comes to normal, but in my case it doesn’t, even after running for 7 continuous days , it is still at 100%.

Perfectionist Perfectionist
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

if windows is the culprit not the hdd, it will do the same with sdd, isn’t it?

No, ssd will perform much better
You have already formatted and it has not solved it, means no software issue

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
koolraj86 wrote:

Is the windows original if not windows is the culprit

is there any solution, apart from buying an sdd.

windows was genuine, but this one is licensed using some command on cmd (wid the help of google), not original….but issue was and is there in both windows., coz of this issue i have to reinstall windows and due to that i lost the original one.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

Conflicting as in?
Disk usage in task manager is 100% not disk consumption, m still left with 4-500gb as free space.
I reinstalled windows several times thought that there was some issues l with windows.
1 tb hdd is its capacity.
I hope m clear now?

Same happening in my lenovo ideapad 310 with 2 TB HDD. Tried everything, I am dealing with slow processing speed from past 4 years.

Only fix is SSD. It costs less, 3-5k. You should know how to do it or get it done by local computer repair shop

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
avgn wrote:

No, ssd will perform much better
You have already formatted and it has not solved it, means no software issue

okay, so only option is to burn some bucks pensive

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
KrishabhAgrawal wrote:

Same happening in my lenovo ideapad 310 with 2 TB HDD. Tried everything, I am dealing with slow processing speed from past 4 years.

Only fix is SSD. It costs less, 3-5k. You should know how to do it or get it done by local computer repair shop

this problem was there since the day i purchased this lappy, never bothered much as it was in very less usage due to office laptop….butwhen i decided to struggle to solve this, i realized the warranty was over. pensive

Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied

Try to install Ubuntu or some other linux distro(dual boot)

On my laptop with windows 10, I faced similar issue but it works smoothly on Ubuntu.

PS: i5 8th gen here and it’s frustrating to see this happen on a decently powerful hardware for a laptop.

Blogger Blogger
Link Copied

HDD is gone

Buy samsung qvo SSD it’s cheaper and reliable

Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

yes, i do agree, in normal case, after bootup, diskusage comes to normal, but in my case it doesn’t, even after running for 7 continuous days , it is still at 100%.

In that case, replace HDD with SDD and check
There’s nothing unusual about the task manager stats (except the 100% disk usage) compared to mine (Windows on NVMe SSD)

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
jileg wrote:

Try to install Ubuntu or some other linux distro(dual boot)

On my laptop with windows 10, I faced similar issue but it works smoothly on Ubuntu.

PS: i5 8th gen here and it’s frustrating to see this happen on a decently powerful hardware for a laptop.

I was about to ask this que, that is there any probability to resolve this of i upgrade to win 11 or install ubuntu or other distro.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

this problem was since the day i purchased this lappy, never bothered much as it was in very less usage due to office laptop….butwhen i decided to struggle to solve this, i realized the warranty was over. pensive

Warranty doesn’t matter, the lenovo cc center was horrible, the didn’t changed HDD. They were telling me to get extended warranty as a/c to them nothing wrong with my device.

I also use office laptop. Personal laptop usage is very less so I haven’t changed my HDD. I would recommend you to wait and buy 512 GB SSD if some deal comes.

If you are planning to buy new one go for Ryzen 5 or higher gaming variants, gaming devices can handle everything  or go for macbook air.



The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
Expand
KrishabhAgrawal wrote:

Warranty doesn’t matter, the lenovo cc center was horrible, the didn’t changed HDD. They were telling me to get extended warranty as a/c to them nothing wrong with my device.

I also use office laptop. Personal laptop usage is very less so I haven’t changed my HDD. I would recommend you to wait and buy 512 GB SSD if some deal comes.

If you are planning to buy new one go for Ryzen 5 or higher gaming variants, gaming devices can handle everything  or go for macbook air.



Hahah i’m trying to save some bucks by not buying sdd and resolving this hdd, and u are suggesting to buy a new lappy.. smile

Its only 3 years old and rarely used…will try for an ssd then if no other option is left. sweat

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
UnderNation wrote:

If U Have Dvd Writer , Then Goto Shop Buy 128gb SSD with Cadet Cost 2500rs Approx… Install Windows In Ssd Urself To Save Money

If Ur Laptop Is Heating Too Much then Dust is There In Fan Filters. Clean This at Computer Shop.

Install Bitsum Process Lasso Software (Free Of Cost , Don’t Buy) , It Will Optimises The System background Process And Gives 100% Response For User Input. I Am Using This In HDD Computer. ( When Windows Updates Are Running This Software Won’t Optimise )

Installed bitsum lasso as suggested, will update in couple of days if i feel or system shows any improvement.

Beacon Beacon
Link Copied
Expand
kartikxxx wrote:

is there any solution, apart from buying an sdd.

windows was genuine, but this one is licensed using some command on cmd (wid the help of google), not original….but issue was and is there in both windows., coz of this issue i have to reinstall windows and due to that i lost the original one.

Only solution here is a new SSD

Pro Shopping Friend Pro Shopping Friend
Link Copied

Its HDD issue most probably, some sectors are corrupted
I went thru this long back on HP laptop luckily near wrnty end, and they replaced HDD
But my laptop became considerably slow; I do not remember how I detected back then; probably ran detailed HDD sector testing after keeping this laptop HDD in external case

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
caks2006407 wrote:

Its HDD issue most probably, some sectors are corrupted
I went thru this long back on HP laptop luckily near wrnty end, and they replaced HDD
But my laptop became considerably slow; I do not remember how I detected back then; probably ran detailed HDD sector testing after keeping this laptop HDD in external case

Any utility or software to do sector wise scanning?

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

Doing a fresh windows installation rules out the software issues by 99%; 1% is still there for rare cases where the BIOS might be the culprit, but it’s really really rare.

So now coming to hardware, first things first, open the laptop, get the fan cleaned up; like really cleaned up properly; the vents, the fan, everything; Next is to replace your HDD with a SSD; get the cheapest one if you are really tight on budget, 2K for 240gb would be the price right now post all offers.

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply