increasing wireless range

100°
Deal Cadet
186
449
7

I have a dlink 2750u router spare. Can i use this to extend my wifi range by connecting it wirelessly to router being used?

21 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
  • Sort By
186
449
7

I tried from youtube but not able to find anything wirelessly

144
1285
7
Expand
carez wrote:

this connects via wire so its not of much use.

I don’t think it’s possible for this router model to use as a repeater/extender wirelessly; only via lan can it be done.

674
5258
57

Only wired extender possible, to connect via wireless you need 2 same model routers with wps enabled & even then there may be some technical issues related to network speed.

186
449
7
guest_999 wrote:

Only wired extender possible, to connect via wireless you need 2 same model routers with wps enabled & even then there may be some technical issues related to network speed.

I have same brand but not same model. What is the benefit by connecting via wire? I cannot extend to another room

674
5258
57
Expand
carez wrote:

I have same brand but not same model. What is the benefit by connecting via wire? I cannot extend to another room

Wired extender are more reliable & easier to configure, only issue is wire length(there is a limit but within a house it is no issue) & space/location available to place the wire(you really don’t have any way to extend a wire from one room to other?).

0
1360
11
Expand
carez wrote:

How did you set up?

5 to 10 mins… Login router n in wireless tab u have universal extender.. Give username n pwd of main router wifi connection…. N set ur tends pwd… Done

186
449
7
Expand
24karat wrote:

5 to 10 mins… Login router n in wireless tab u have universal extender.. Give username n pwd of main router wifi connection…. N set ur tends pwd… Done

Connected via wire the two routers?

24
6154
124

Using old routers as extenders/repeater doesnt always work.. it depends on technicalities which a normal person may not be able to understand. I tried and tried and gave up. It works for once and when restarted it wont work.
I suggest to use repeaters for this to avoid waste of time.

221
4438
28
guest_999 wrote:

Only wired extender possible, to connect via wireless you need 2 same model routers with wps enabled & even then there may be some technical issues related to network speed.

Are you sure on the same model routers part?

674
5258
57
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Are you sure on the same model routers part?

Yes, it is the method with least chances of issues. You can also make it work with certain different models but that will depend much more on luck compared to using same models. Even with same models it is a hassle though especially for those not having at least decent knowledge of networking(I once did setup two same tplink router models via wps wireless connect but eventually gave up as connection was not as smooth & much more hassle of settings configuration compared to simply using a single router with a bit decreased signal strength).

221
4438
28
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Yes, it is the method with least chances of issues. You can also make it work with certain different models but that will depend much more on luck compared to using same models. Even with same models it is a hassle though especially for those not having at least decent knowledge of networking(I once did setup two same tplink router models via wps wireless connect but eventually gave up as connection was not as smooth & much more hassle of settings configuration compared to simply using a single router with a bit decreased signal strength).

I never had issues in configuring across different make/models. WPS is the last option I prefer, I usually go with the set credentials. That aside, I do not prefer wireless repeaters unless the end consumer devices are ok with reduced bandwidth.

674
5258
57
Expand
andromeda wrote:

I never had issues in configuring across different make/models. WPS is the last option I prefer, I usually go with the set credentials. That aside, I do not prefer wireless repeaters unless the end consumer devices are ok with reduced bandwidth.

When did you do this last time successfully? I think earlier models(especially netgear & dlink) like those in pre-2014 used to have much better compatibility for such types of linking. Also not using wps is only possible with routers having wireless repeater mode(absent in almost all basic/entry level wifi routers nowadays).

221
4438
28
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

When did you do this last time successfully? I think earlier models(especially netgear & dlink) like those in pre-2014 used to have much better compatibility for such types of linking. Also not using wps is only possible with routers having wireless repeater mode(absent in almost all basic/entry level wifi routers nowadays).

Makes sense.

I didn’t do it in the recent times. The last time I did was some time in 2016-17, and again the routers are of pre-2014 make. I didn’t purchase any router in the recent past, so can’t much comment about them. And most models I have dealt with or mid-range, not entry level.

Missing