Google Photos Unlimited Service Ends Soon : How to Backup with Google Takeout?

Now, Google Photos will be having paid plans beyond the free storage limit so get ready to backup and export with Google Takeout.

by FighterMan Updated: 25 Feb, 2021, 19:01 IST
47 6763

The most popular image & video cloud storage service Google Photos will soon end its unlimited space availability for users in India. Starting June 1 2021, you will have to pay to use Google Photos if you exceed the 15GB storage limit. The paid plans will be rolled out soon. In this case, if you want to backup your photos & videos then Google Takeout is the tool to your rescue.

Google Photos Unlimited Service Ends Soon : How to Backup with Google Takeout?
How to Backup & Export your Photos and Videos with Google Takeout?

Google Takeout will help you backup your Photos and Videos into your Google account, after which you can export it to your account with another free service provider. The format of exporting is given under “Multiple Formats” so you can check it out there.

Steps to Use Google Takeout:

1. Visit Google Takeout.
  2. You will see all Google services selected so click on “Deselect All” and then on Google Photos.
  3. Select delivery method from Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, and Box. You can also choose to get a download link via email.
  4. Now, choose your preferred frequency and file type & size, and click on “Export”.
  5. Your photos & videos will be automatically exported and a Download link will be generated.

Once your data is received, you can transfer them to other cloud services such as Amazon Photos, Apple's iCloud Drive, Dropbox, Flicker, OneDrive, etc.

What do you think of this move from Google? Do share your ideas via the comments section below. You can also checkout amazing Diwali Offers and save more on your Diwali shopping.

47 Comments  |
40 Dimers
  • Sort By
244
240

Absolutely disastrous news! imp

I transferred my takeout to Onedrive but all the metadata is missing (date taken, camera model etc)!! Google should get their sh::it together!

3340

Just make another account 🥺🥺
And 30gb is sufficient for Normal people i suppose.
But, Google somewhere sometime offered unlimited storage (for photos)(correct if it is wrong) so……..

2883

This is really a bad news, I’ve been using Google photos since 2012. I think I’ve almost 1 lakh of photos. How to bear such transfer time and what if it wouldn’t be backup or transfer properly. Google is playing bad. The true colour of Google can be seen.. expressionless

197
1613
looter143 wrote:

1 lakh ??
Seriously ??

652
looter143 wrote:

if you really care about the photos, then just get Google One subscription, it’s cheap.

110
445
looter143 wrote:

go for paid storage.

2198
mdfaisalpapa230 wrote:

The existing photos won’t be counted in the limit. So No need to transfer out

Right bro. Why are all panicking?

mdfaisalpapa230 wrote:

The existing photos won’t be counted in the limit. So No need to transfer out

Google have also mentioned that if there is no activity in photos for 2 years they might delete them. It is better to be safe.

147

Buy a Pixel phone. You won’t lose this freebie. If you need cloud storage like me, pixel will make so much more sense from now. I bought a Pixel phone 3 years back. I uploaded so many photos and videos, I must have a dedicated server for myself in Google by now. 😂

670
looter143 wrote:

Google already said .. this change is applicable only for photos uploaded after June 2021. For photos uploaded before it would still be counted under u limited. So no worries for old backed up photos

244
240
looter143 wrote:

Photos uploaded till 1st june 2021 won’t be counted towards 15Gb limit. There available to you forever without any storage space used (unless google change their mind 5 years down the road …)

Photos already stored or before 1 June 2021 will be exempted from storage usage.
Why we need to backup?

looter143 wrote:

947
5126

Any other alternatives .. free storage and.. good interface like g photos

753
looter143 wrote:

Same here .. Have 1.11Lakh photos. Have all photos from 2008 onwards.

For those wondering and making fun.. Do note Google photos was a wonderful place to keep all photos securely backed up without any worries. Yes I do have photos backed up into separate external HDDs. But it’s so sweet to get to your photos whenever you felt the need to.
Also in case of unforeseen disasters, I do not want to lose out on precious family photos, which I won’t be ever be able to recover.

Now, I am not much worried about this decision by google right now, the way we have been dumping all photos over there stuck_out_tongue. Here’s my plan:

• Rather than transferring out, Will upload whatever I can within June 1
  • I will/still have 12GB of free space, which should last me at least few months or maybe 1 or 2 vacation photos (yes 10 days trip generates lotsa photos/videos).
  • When I am nearing my limits, will subscribe to their 100Gb plan..
  • I believe within few years if not months either this pricing will go down or alternatives will come.

There are several alternatives to Google Photos with lower costs. But I did test out most and could not satisfy myself with their features.

Multiple accounts will probably be good just as a storage purpose, but I would rather pay minimal and get access to all my photos seamlessly.

2883
Seinfeld wrote:

Same here .. Have 1.11Lakh photos. Have all photos from 2008 onwards.

• Rather than transferring out, Will upload whatever I can within June 1
  • When I am nearing my limits, will subscribe to their 100Gb plan..

Thanks buddy this is really a better solution..
Kg+

106
404
krishna823 wrote:

Reports are saying that even the pixels will face the music after sometime.. Nobody is safe.. That is what happens when you make monopolies… You dictate the market… Google has lot of anti trust lawsuits going…

314
looter143 wrote:

Please be aware that photos uploaded before june 2021 will not count against your quota.

Amazon photo provide unlimited storage to its prime member

replyuser